Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Wall Street Oasis Webinar - BC 8-9-15

239 views

Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Wall Street Oasis Webinar - BC 8-9-15

  1. 1. WALL STREET OASIS WEBINAR HOW TO IMPRESS ADCOMS WITH A COMPELLING STORY
  2. 2. WHAT WE WILL COVER TODAY • MY STORY: HOW I SLIPPED ON THE B-SCHOOL “BANANA PEEL” • APPLYING TO B-SCHOOL: IT’S A JUNGLE OUT THERE • CLIMB HIGHER IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS THROUGH STORYTELLING • WHY STORYTELLING? • TIPS FOR STORYTELLING • QUESTION & ANSWERS FROM THE AUDIENCE
  3. 3. MY STORY • SEVEN SISTERS ALUMNA, FRENCH LITERTURE MAJOR • WORKING IN CORPORATE FINANCE IN BOSTON • CLIENT WAS SHEARSON LEHMAN BROTHERS/SMITH BARNEY MUTUAL FUNDS • 4:30 AM SHUTTLE TO NYC • MEETINGS WITH ASSET MANAGEMENT ON 101ST FLOOR OF WTC • LIFE WAS GOOD!
  4. 4. TIME FOR BUSINESS SCHOOL • PEER PRESSURE • FRIENDS WERE GOING TO TUCK, DUKE, COLUMBIA, YALE • “I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE” • STARTED APPLYING. NO RESEARCH. NO STRATEGY. NO RESULTS.
  5. 5. LESSONS LEARNED • DO RESEARCH • TALK TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN (STUDENTS, ALUMNI, EMPLOYERS) • BE SELECTIVE ABOUT RECOMMENDATIONS • STUDY, STUDY, STUDY FOR GMAT • TAKE ADVANTAGE OF INTERVIEWS • CRAFT A COMPELLING STORY
  6. 6. THE COMPETITION
  7. 7. FACTORS IN ADMISSION • GMAT • ESSAYS • VIDEOS • ADMISSIONS INTERVIEW • UNDERGRADUATE GPAS • RECOMMENDERS • INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE • EMPLOYERS • UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE • UNDERGRADUATE MAJOR • EXTRACURRICULARS • LENGTH OF WORK EXPERIENCE • INDUSTRY OF EMPLOYMENT • LANGUAGES
  8. 8. THE IMPORTANCE OF GMAT GMAT SCORES ARE BEING GIVEN MORECONSIDERATION BY SCHOOLS Source: Poets & Quants article surveying leading consultant firms– 8/3/15
  9. 9. ADMISSIONS FACTORS GMAT Essay Interview Undergrad GPA Recommendation Letters Employer Prestige College Attended Extracurricular Involvement Number of years of work experience Candidate background International experience Undergrad major Fluency in language Source: Poets & Quants article surveying leading consultant firms– 8/3/15
  10. 10. IN A NUTSHELL THE SURVEY FOUND THAT GMAT SCORES ARE THOUGHT TO BE: • MORE THAN TWICE AS INFLUENTIAL IN MBA ADMISSION DECISIONS AS UNDERGRADUATE GRADE POINT AVERAGES
  11. 11. IN A NUTSHELL THE SURVEY FOUND THAT GMAT SCORES ARE THOUGHT TO BE: • NEARLY THREE TIMES MORE CRITICAL THAN EITHER RECOMMENDATION LETTERS AND EMPLOYER PRESTIGE
  12. 12. IN A NUTSHELL THE SURVEY FOUND THAT GMAT SCORES ARE THOUGHT TO BE: • ALMOST FOUR TIMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE AN APPLICANT ATTENDED.
  13. 13. BUT LET’S LOOK AT THE CHART AGAIN
  14. 14. ADMISSIONS FACTORS GMAT Essay Interview Undergrad GPA Recommendation Letters Employer Prestige College Attended Extracurricular Involvement Number of years of work experience Candidate background International experience Undergrad major Fluency in language Source: Poets & Quants article surveying leading consultant firms– 8/3/15
  15. 15. TOP THREE ADMISSIONS FACTORS 1. GMAT 21.7% 2. ESSAY 14.5% 3. ADMISSONS INTERVIEW 12.1% Source: Poets & Quants article surveying leading consultant firms– 8/3/15
  16. 16. IF YOU CAN TELL A COMPELLING STORY… 1. GMAT 21.7% 2. ESSAY 14.5% 3. ADMISSONS INTERVIEW 12.1% TOTAL: 26.6% Source: Poets & Quants article surveying leading consultant firms– 8/3/15
  17. 17. WHY STORYTELLING?
  18. 18. NEUROSCIENCE OF STORYTELLING
  19. 19. POWER OF STORYTELLING • DIFFERENTIATE YOURSELF • SET YOU APART FROM OTHER CANDIDATES • BUILDS FAMILIARITY AND TRUST • RESONATE BETTER WITH PEOPLE THAN PURE DATA • PERSUADE AND INFLUENCE • CHANGE PERCEPTIONS • STICKY - HELP PEOPLE REMEMBER YOU
  20. 20. WAYS TO INCORPORATE STORYTELLING • YOUR NARRATIVE ARC • CHALLENGE YOU HAVE OVERCOME • TRIUMPH OVER ADVERSITY • HOW SOMEONE CHANGED YOUR LIFE • HOW YOU CHANGED SOMEONE ELSE’S LIFE • ACHIEVEMENTS THAT TIE INTO EVENT OF NATIONAL/INT’L SIGNIFICANCE • ?
  21. 21. REMEMBER • BE INTERESTING • BE AUTHENTIC • BE MEMORABLE • BE EMPATHETIC • BE CONFIDENT YET HUMBLE
  22. 22. CHANNEL YOUR INNER ARCHEOLOGIST • DIG THROUGH YOUR LIFE HISTORY • MANY “MUNDANE” WORK AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCES HAVE A COMPELLING STORY BEHIND THEM. WHAT ARE THEY? • NOBODY ELSE HAS YOUR STORY
  23. 23. QUESTIONS & ANSWERS • LIVE Q&A SESSION, ANY QUESTIONS? • WANT A 1 ON 1 MENTOR SESSION WITH THE PRESENTER? • USE “MENTOR50”DISCOUNT CODE IN NEXT 24 HOURS TO GET $50 OFF OUR FIRST HOUR TOGETHER (CLICK ON THE MENTORS LINK AT TOP OF THE WALLSTREETOASIS.COM HOMEPAGE AND CLICK THE GREEN “GET STARTED!” BUTTON) • EMAIL IVY@WALLSTREETOASIS.COM WITH ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR MENTOR PROGRAM • A FREE REPLAY OF THE PRESENTATION WILL BE ON THE WSO HOMEPAGE IN EXACTLY ONE MONTH THANKS FOR JOINING!

×