•Phylum : Arthropoda
•Species: C. chinensis, C. maculatus
Binominal name: Callosobruchus chinensis
Life Cycle of
• Egg - Laid singly, stick in to seed,
Fresh eggs are translucent,
White in colour
• Larva - Fleshy, Curved,
Creamy white in colour,
Black mouth parts.
• Pupa - Pupation takes place in a pupal
cell prepared beneath the seed coat.
• 3- 4 mm long
• oval shaped
• Brownish grey beetle with dark spots
• body is pointed towards front.
•Adults are short lived, it is harmless and do not
feed on storage produce at all.
• Short serrate or filiform antenna.
• Elytra pubescent & do not cover the
• Eyes are emarginated.
• The adult and larva feed on the grain by
making a small hole.
• Infested recognitions - by white eggs
- round exit holes
• Host range: All whole pulses, beans and grams
• Exposure of the grain to sun light .
• Dry the pods to optimum kernel moisture
level of about 7 %.
• Store the pods in polythene-lined
gunny bags with a
layer of sand.
•Avoid seed breakage.
•Broken seeds should not be stored for
•Dust an inert substance such as ABCD
(attapulgite-based clay dust) Bags should
not be stitched or closed.
•Bags should not be stitched or closed.
• Dip the gunny bags in 10% malathion solution.
• Apply E.D.B. ampulses at 3 ml/q of seed in air
tight storage structure.
• Fumigation with aluminum phosphide
protects the seed without affecting the
•Dip the old gunny bags in boiled water for 15
•Coat the seed with small quantities of
vegetable oil or mix neem leaves in the stored