GOVERNMENT DEGREE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
POLITICAL SCIENCE PRESENTATION
TOPIC: CAUSES OF 1ST WORLD WAR
GROUP: BA (EPP)
ROLL NO: 108520111001
• The idea of Nationalism was a positive impulse. Many newly
formed modern nations were created in Europe.
• The idealogy created pride in these nations and hatred
against the neighbouring countries
• Other forms of nationalism: 1.fascism in Italy
2.Nazism in Germany
• With the growth of industrial capitalism, countries like
Britain, Germany, US needed to access raw materials
and markets for their products.
• They want to invest in their colonies.
Thus ,by the end of 19th century there was a race for
colonies between the Europian powers.
• Bismark The German Chancellor made a secret Alliance with
Austria in 1879 and Italy in 1882.
Hence it was called Triple Alliance.
• France made a mutual alliance with Russia in 1891 and with
Britain in 1904.
Hence it was called Triple Entente
These Alliances created an atmosphere of fear.
Militarism is the belief that military power is the best way to
ensure security and to solve the problems.
• All the countries had built massive standing armies for
• The Balcon peninsula were being ruled by Ottoman Turkey
empire. After the fall of ottoman empire. Austria,
Germany, Turkey, were competed for the supremacy over
IMMEDIATE CAUSE :
• On 28th june 1914,a Bosnian serb assassinated the crown
Prince Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria Hungary.
Austria asked for the explanation on this.
• Austria ,declared war on Serbia after the unsatisfactory
reply of Serbia on 28th july 1914 .