Empirical Research Methodology
Adjunct associate professor, IDI, NTNU
Senior Scientist, SINTEF ICT
Name, title of the presentation
What is TDT39?
The course is for students who are
interested in research in 'real world'
settings. You will learn methods for
exploring how and why various
information/computer systems are
designed, implemented and used.
•IT3010 - Full course mandatory
for master of science (Spring
•TDT39 - Select course for
master of techn. (Autumn)
•You cannot take both courses!
The thinking man
Figure 3.1 in: B. J. Oates, Researching Information Systems and Computing. London: Sage Publications, 2006.
Briony J. Oates,
Researching Information Systems
London: Sage Publications, 2006.
• Your research plan for your master thesis.
– Version 1.0 ready by end of September.
• A template will be provided for the plan, along with some
example plans. See the web pages.
• The template is based on the book.
– Purpose: Why you want to do this research? What is the relevance?
– Contributions: What new knowledge will you produce?
– Research method: What research strategy/method will you use?
– Participants: Who do you need for your research? What resources do you
– Research paradigm: Is this a positivitst, interpretivist,
or critical research project?
– Deliverable: What is the form of the final deliverable?
• We will have 2-3 meetings (to be announced on the
– First one approx. end of September to prepare version 1.0 of the
– Opportunity to discuss questions.
– Opportunity to present your research plan.
What I can do for you
• I can answer questions related to the book and to the
• What I cannot do:
– I cannot answer questions related to your research project.
• Ask your supervisor.
– I cannot be available all the time.
• Prepare to wait for emails to be answred!
The role of your supervisor
• The deliverable from TDT39, the research plan, is
your plan for your thesis.
• Your supervisor needs to be involved.
• You need to agree with your supervisor about the
content of the plan.
• If you are not doing your master thesis this year
please let me know!
• Teacher: Babak Farshchian
• Room: 106 IT building ITV
• Availability: Wednesdays, and on email
• See course web pages for more information:
with course IT3010).