• XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language.
• XML is a markup language much like HTML
• XML was designed to carry data, not to display
• XML tags are not predefined. You must define
your own tags
• A markup language is used to provide
information about a document.
USE OF XML
• XML documents are used to transfer data
from one place to another often over the
• XML subsets are designed for particular
Eg: It is used to send breaking news bulletins
from one web site to another.
• Web searching and automating Web tasks:
XML defines the type of information contained in a document,
making it easier to return useful results when searching the
• e-business applications:
XML implementations make electronic data interchange (EDI)
more accessible for information interchange, business-to-
business transactions, and business-to-consumer
ADVANTAGES OF XML
• XML Separates Data from HTML
• XML Simplifies Data Sharing
• XML Simplifies Data Transport
• XML Simplifies Platform Changes
• XML Makes Your Data More Available
FORMAT OF XML DOCUMENT
A XML document is consist of tags and data. All
data in an XML document is wrapped by the tags
Example of xml document
<?xml version="1.0" encoding= "UTF-8" ?>
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN XML AND
• HTML tags have a fixed meaning and browsers
know what it is.
• XML tags are different for different
applications, and users know what they mean.
• HTML tags are used for display.
• XML tags are used to describe documents and
• All XML Elements Must Have a Closing Tag
• XML Elements Must be Properly Nested
Eg: <b><i>This text is bold and italic</i></b>
• XML Tags are Case Sensitive
<message>This is correct</message>
• XML Attribute Values Must be Quoted
Eg: <note date="12/11/2007">
• XML Documents Must Have a Root Element
An XML element is everything from the element's
start tag to the element's end tag.
An element can contain:
• other elements
Attributes provide additional information about
XML NAMING RULE
• Names can contain letters, numbers, and
• Names cannot start with a number or
• Names cannot start with the letters xml (or
XML, or Xml, etc)
• Names cannot contain spaces
Disclaimer: This presentation is prepared by trainees of
baabtra as a part of mentoring program. This is not official
document of baabtra –Mentoring Partner
Baabtra-Mentoring Partner is the mentoring division of baabte System Technologies Pvt .
If this presentation helped you, please visit our
page facebook.com/baabtra and like it.
Thanks in advance.
www.baabtra.com | www.massbaab.com |www.baabte.com