Disclaimer: This presentation is prepared by trainees of
baabtra as a part of mentoring program. This is not official
document of baabtra –Mentoring Partner
Baabtra-Mentoring Partner is the mentoring division of baabte System Technologies Pvt .
What is algorithm?
• An algorithm is a representation of a solution to a
• An algorithm is procedure consisting of a finite
set of unambiguous rules (instructions) which
specify a finite sequence of operations that
provides the solution to a problem, or to a
specific class of problems for any allowable set of
input quantities (if there are inputs). In other
word, an algorithm is a step-by-step procedure to
solve a given problem
What is algorithm flowcharts?
• A flowchart is a diagram made up of boxes, diamonds and
other shapes, connected by arrows - each shape represents
a step in the process, and the arrows show the order in
which they occur. Flowcharting combines symbols and
flowlines, to show figuratively the operation of an
• A flowchart is a type of diagram that represents
an algorithm or process, showing the steps as boxes of
various kinds, and their order by connecting them with
• Flowcharts are used in analyzing, designing, documenting
or managing a process or program in various fields
Properties of an Algorithm
• Finiteness: - an algorithm terminates after a finite
numbers of steps.
• Definiteness: - each step in algorithm is unambiguous.
This means that the action specified by the step cannot
be interpreted (explain the meaning of) in multiple
ways & can be performed without any confusion.
• Input:- an algorithm accepts zero or more inputs
• Output:- it produces at least one output.
• Effectiveness:- it consists of basic instructions that are
realizable. This means that the instructions can be
performed by using the given inputs in a finite amount
Symbols of flowcharts
• Start and end symbols
• Generic processing steps
• Prepare conditional
• Conditional or decision
• Junction symbol
• Concurrency symbol
• Labeled connectors
Types of flowchart
• Document flowcharts, showing controls over a
document-flow through a system
• Data flowcharts, showing controls over a data-
flow in a system
• System flowcharts showing controls at a
physical or resource level
• Program flowchart, showing the controls in a
program within a system
Advantages of Flowchart
• It provides an easy way of communication because any
other person besides the programmer can understand
the way they are represented.
• It represents the data flow.
• It checks the accuracy in logic flow.
• It documents the steps followed in an algorithm.
• It provides the facility for coding.
• They shows all major elements and their relationship.
• It provides the way of modification of running
Limitation of Flow Charts
• It is the total perception of the designer who
draw the flowchart.
• It's working differ from one compiler to
another ,one language to another in some
• It need weldefined requiremnts.
• Its basically for structured programming.
If this presentation helped you, please visit our
page facebook.com/baabtra and like it.
Thanks in advance.
www.baabtra.com | www.massbaab.com |www.baabte.com
Emarald Mall (Big Bazar Building)
Mavoor Road, Kozhikode,
Ph: + 91 – 495 40 25 550
NC Complex, Near Bus Stand
Ph: + 91 – 495 40 25 550
Start up Village