Build your network to thrive in the digital age
Welcome to your webinar
Build your network to thrive in the digital age.
Discover how to unlock the full potential of the cloud by
developing a wide-area network (WAN) that brings your
business into the digital age.
A BT Ireland/Current Analysis webinar with:
• Steve Coakley, Head of Network Propositions, BT.
• Joel Stradling, Research Director, Business Network & IT Services, Current Analysis.
• Keith Langridge, VP Connect Portfolio, BT.
The digital age
The Internet of Things
We’re only now starting to understand
the implications of the digital era.
Division of labour,
Source: World Economic Forum
Source: The BT CIO report 2016 - the digital CIO.
Every organisation is becoming a digital organisation
…but it’s not easy.
• The pace of technological change is driving
significant disruption in IT departments in Ireland.
• 62% of all CIO/IT Leaders are finding it difficult to
keep pace with technological change and
are underestimating the level of change to
• 61% reported a growing demand to
demonstrate greater impact and
business benefits from IT. Nearly
half reported that change to their
role is being driven by board
Source: research by BT Ireland/Amárach,
You are telling us that you...
…require more bandwidth at lower cost.
…want convergence of voice and IP, whilst still managing legacy.
…need to comply with legislation and regulation.
…have a growing demand for a mix of private and public networks.
...need to innovate and take advantage of the latest technologies
such as NFV / SDN in order to meet your business challenges.
…want to take advantage of cloud services.
Organisations require an intelligent hybrid network.
• Evolution of Corporate IT and Networks
• Changing Challenges & Demands on the WAN
• Digital Transformation and the Move to Virtual IT
• Executive Summary
Evolution of Corporate IT & Networks
now have budget
still need to fix it if
it goes wrong
There can be a lot
going that is not
The Democratization of Technology IT Budget
Solely the IT
units with IT
Entities Involved in Purchasing Decisions
Big data and
Source: Kable ICT 2016 study
Evolution of IT & Networks (Cont.)
(strong on-going adoption &
Big Data Analytics
(enabling IT evolution)
There is a
0% 20% 40% 60%
Removal of Spanning Tree
Layer 4-7 service chaining
End to end data center to campus LAN SDN
End to end campus LAN to cloud service SDN
Campus LAN network virtualization
Over the top remote office networking (SD-WAN)
Network slicing/Network isolation
Improved fault tolerance/fault recovery
End to end data center to cloud service SDN
Inter-data center SDN
Data center network virtualization
IT process automation
Use Cases for SDN
Data Center and Cloud Services lead SDN implementation areas; IT process
automation is the top cited immediate use case:
Cloud Service: 65%
Data Center: 69%
Q: In which areas of the organization does your organization use
or plan to use SDN?
Base: Companies that are in production of or plan to implement
n = 438
Q: What are your top immediate use cases for SDN? Choose all that apply
Base: Companies that are in production of or plan to implement SDN
n = 438
Source: Kable ICT 2016 study
Outsourced IT functions
• Application function
most likely to remain
in house, followed by
function most likely
to be outsourced
• Of those that keep
service desk in house,
over half are
function in the next 2
Source: Kable 2016 ICT Survey
Cloud solutions in use, and prioritised for
IaaS SaaS Private
Source: Kable ICT 2016 study
Demands on the WAN
• There is ever growing demand for bandwidth
– Drivers: video, collaboration tools, transactions, etc...
• Companies need the flexibility to expand/contract
– With such activities comes potentially complex
Demands on the WAN (Cont.)
• Some apps will be jitter/delay sensitive
– For example moving to certain hosted voice solutions may
be a perilous IT journey without sound WAN engineering
• Democratization of IT spend means many apps can get
deployed in a less controlled fashion
– Does the WAN have the appropriate mechanisms to
manage all the apps?
– Might shadow IT decisions compromise security?
Future: SDN, NFV, SD-WAN Concepts Merge
Where they merge
SD-WAN Merges with SDN & NFV (Cont.)
• Applications management
coordinated with underlying data
• Single interface to manipulate all
layers of the network stack for
• Virtualized devices handle
agnostic access, management,
app control and other functions
• Deployment of service features
within hybrid clouds
Enterprise WAN Recommendations
• Choose a hybrid WAN solution that will give you app visibility and
control; including in public clouds
• It is less about raw network performance today (i.e. avail., packet
loss, jitter) and more about a secure end-to-end user experience
and & individual app response times
– Congestion and slow app response can damage your business’ revenue
• Design the hybrid-cloud-WAN for heavy cloud usage from the out-
– Taking into consideration shadow IT environment
– Ready to support growing hosted video and collaboration
• It is a good time to have early conversations with your provider
about possible small scale SD-WAN implementations
Cloud computing is becoming the norm for enterprise IT delivery.
Making the Cloud of Clouds work for you.
Cloud is all about choice. BT facilitates choice and puts you in control.
BT was selected to reduce risk and provide an optimal connectivity
• A PCI compliant connection to cloud-based CRM
• A model for future connectivity into services such as Azure, O365, HP
Helion and Oracle Cloud.
A financial services
company needing a
to the cloud.
A retailer seeking to
internet into their
BT designed a Hybrid WAN solution combining MPLS and business-grade
internet connectivity to deliver secure connections to web-based
services plus offer a secondary connection to the data centre,
Our customers are looking to bring together the benefits of performance,
security, scale and cost savings within the network.
The wrong balance will impact an organisation’s ability to drive cost savings or
Intelligent Hybrid Network – it’s a question of balance.
ABB chooses BT to transform and secure its global
Single global partner to standardise and manage network-
related services around the world.
End-to-end responsibility for quality and
performance of WAN and LAN serving 700
locations with BT Assure Cyber protection
and managed firewall services.
Collaboration, innovation and
business transformation for over
140,000 ABB employees in
more than 100 countries.
Case study: ABB.
The alignment with BT will enable
us to move to a globally-
consistent, high-quality network.
Andy Tidd, Chief Information Officer, ABB.
The next step in your Hybrid WAN evolution.
NFV / SD WAN – Network function Virtualisation / Software Defined WAN.
Part of our CPE Network function Virtualisation capability.
A single piece of equipment, with functions that can just be turned on such acceleration and optimisation.
Market-leading service provider multi-tenant platform.
BT Connect Intelligence IWAN.
Managed IWAN with BT gives...
• Know what is happening
with your network almost in
• Monitor, control and
improve business critical
Look at what’s going on.
WAN traffic balancing.
• Utilise any and all of your
connections governed by
• Ensure applications run on the
best path based on real-time
understanding of the situation.
• Traffic-independent VPN.
Send traffic the right way.
• Compression of data and
acceleration of applications.
• Improve user experience
without costly WAN upgrades.
• Reduce branch-office footprint
through server and service
Optimise and accelerate
your end-user experience.
• Akamai – local level caching
means no buffering on devices,
no jitter and faster playback.
• Cisco and Akamai provide a
unique capability that mitigates
the impact of uncontrolled
software updates in a BYOD
Localise content to
speed up delivery.
Walgreens Boots Alliance with businesses in the UK and in
around 20 other countries taking advantage of BT’s service
reach and scalability to support their international operations.
Case study: Walgreen Boots Alliance.
A fully managed Connect Intelligence IWAN
service which includes comprehensive design,
set-up and configuration. Monthly reports
from an Application Specialist on how their
network and applications are performing, with
recommendations on how to improve
Optimal performance for apps,
improving productivity, security
and user experience.
To reduce costs by securely interconnecting remote sites
over hybrid network options and to securely transfer
In conclusion - you need to:
• Take advantage of the latest cloud services without
compromising on enterprise-class performance and service
• Evolve your global WAN, to regain control of the
cost performance balance, wherever you are.
• Use application visibility and control to
make informed business decisions
and operate with the agility your
Network like never before http://info.btireland.com/Network-like-Never-Before
Research Director, Business Network & IT Services
Mobile: +34 (0) 672 766060
VP Connect Portfolio, BT
Head of Network Propositions, BT
Mobile +353 (0) 86 8386270