London School of Public Relations
ASSESSMENT ONE (to be submitted on week 5 of the course)
An Analysis of Shell’s Corporate Web Site
You are required to visit Shell’s corporate web site at the URL indicated below. Please
answer the questions as succinctly as possible within the space provided.
1. What was your overall impression of the site? Score it on a basis of 1 – 10.
2. Was the home page well designed and did it make you want to enter the site?
3. WEB DYNAMICS & DESIGN: Describe your overall impression of the design of the
site and the web dynamics. Did the site have flow? Was it easy to navigate around?
Was the user invited back again or given a reason to return? Were the graphics
4. WEB CONTENT: Was the content of the site useful and did it offer the visitor the
chance to give feedback about the site? Were HOTLINKS available and how were they
5. PUBLIC RELATIONS REMIT: What messages or core brand values is Shell trying to
convey through the site? Does the site have a good PR “voice” or personality?
6. CORPORATE CITIZENSHIP: Given the broad nature of stakeholders Shell needs to
communicate with, what do you think they are trying to communicate through their
corporate social responsibility programme?
7. PUBLIC RELATIONS AND INVESTOR RELATIONS: Does the site encourage visitors
to invest in Shell and does it service the needs of current investors by providing up-to-
8. PUBLIC RELATIONS AND PERCEPTION: Does the site succeed in changing your
own perception of Shell as an organisation? Does the site generate a positive feeling
9. How does this site generally compare against BP’s corporate site (bp.com)?