Media and Digital PR
• The challenge to the press
• New opportunities in print
• The digital age of PR
• Online news
• Your website! Plus; Blogs,Facebook,
Twitter – do or die?
• Broadcast media
• Video – the next thing
Hints & Tips for Stories that Travel
• Get to know your target
• People love people
•Every picture tells a story
•Ditch that Jargon
•Keep to format
•Think outside the box
Have a go
• Your business has just won an award for
being environmentally friendly.
• Write to let the local media know about it
• 15 minutes
Let’s read the paper
• Headline / front-page news
• Page leads
• Letters Page
• Feature pages
• Special Supplements
• Other bits
The basics of a press release
• That first all-important first paragraph
• Quote Me!
•Contacts and other details
•After ‘The End’
If I only had a NIB
•News in Brief and that first paragraph
•Who, What, Why, When, Where
•Play Cluedo for simple stories!
• PR consultant Julie Ratcliffe is giving a
free talk on PR for the small business on
Wednesday 19 May at the Carlton Hotel,
Bournemouth, starting at 10.15am.
Contact Business Link on 0845 0707 747
•Your first paragraph – Have another go!
• Your contacts for further information –
They MUST be available!
• Is there a picture opportunity?
• Do you have a picture?
• Notes to editors – what’s that all about?
• Headlines –
• a word of caution ...
Where & when to send a press release
• Target publications and sources
•Don’t forget Deadlines
•Work backwards when planning PR
• Contacts-use specific where known
Ready to go!
• Email is the way today
• Don’t put ‘Press Release’ in subject line!
• Be brief
•Attach the file AND copy it into the body
•Attach a photo
Will it or won’t it?
• Deadlines – did you keep to this?
• Is it newsworthy?
•Is it the kind of story this publication
uses (Golf mags will only take knitting
patterns if it’s a gold club cosy!)
•If it’s not time-limiting, it can appear
•Luck of the draw – who got there first?
If at first you don’t succeed ...
• Don’t Panic!
• Follow up if you’ve made a contact
• Keep sending stories
• Good luck!