By B.K. Electric Services
SPOTLIGHT ON OUR
• Before 1984, WeHo was a large piece of unincorporated land by the
name of Sherman.
• Area was settled in 1896 by railroad workers.
• Built along the Pasadena and Pacific railroads connecting Los
Angeles to Santa Monica and named “Sherman”.
Courtesy of the Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection,USC
• Noted as a small working-class town populated by railroad workers and their
• In 1922, Los Angeles development touched Sherman at what is now San Vincente
and Santa Monica.
Photo courtesy Arcadia Publishing Company's "Images of America: West Hollywood” by WeHo News editor Ryan
• Anti-annexationist forces rallied against Los Angeles encroachment.
• Sherman financed construction of a sewer system, allowing the city
to remain independent.
• In 1925, townmembers voted to remain Sherman to West
Hollywood to associate it with the glamour of Hollywood.
West Hollywood in 1929
Courtesy of the California Historical Society Collection, USC Libraries.
• Several attempts to annex West Hollywood were made in 1957,
1960, 1963, and 1966.
• In 1984, several new businesses joined the gays and lesbians and an
influx of Russian immigrants and elderly formed a coalition.
• They voted for incorporation and on November 29, 1984, the City of
West Hollywood was born.
Facts About WeHo
• Covers 1.9 square miles
• Features a wild offering at night, thanks to the Sunset Strip
• The West Hollywood Library has one of the largest and most
extensive collections on LGBT history.
• 12 miles from the beach
• Bounded by Beverly Hills to the west, Hollywood to the east, Los
Angeles to the south, and the Santa Monica Mountains to the
• 12% of residents are from the former Soviet Union
• 1/3 of residents are gay or lesbian
Pacific Design Center
Inside the WeHo Library
West Hollywood Night Life
• Visit the West Hollywood City Site at or
• Looking for an electrician in West Hollywood? Contact B.K. Electric
• (310) 430 2300