‘Who are you?”
“…and where the heck is Sandwell?”
Introduction - Dave Emery
• Architectural Technologist since 1976
• Computer user since before Windows (DOS
• First 3d experiences in mid-1980s
• Serious 3d modelling for c15 years
• BIM manager on projects up to £50m+
• Talks, teaching, workshops etc..
Style never goes out of fashion…!
• The first 3D Virtual Hospital
• A supply chain innovation
• Aims to connect Midlands-based companies with
buyers for the new £350m Midlands Metropolitan
Hospital..and other exciting projects!.
What is WMVH?
How does WMVH work?
• Suppliers enter WMVH via website
• Navigate to products or services they can supply
• Upload their details, e.g.
• Company details
• Technical data
• BIM Capability
• Thus the supplier is aligned to the product or service.
What will WMVH achieve?
• Local businesses will have their details in front of the
• This increases their opportunity to supply to one of
the biggest projects locally
• Registration allows them to attend BIM Workshops
(129 delivered so far)
• Help, training and support available via BIM Suite.
WMVH BIM Suite
• Dedicated Learning Environment & Training Facility
• Design and Object Creation
• Software skills.
BIM Suite Market
• Public Sector
• Private Sector
• Quantity Surveyors.
Results so far
• 1500 registered users
• 21 Major Contractors
• Large architectural practices
• 1000+ Twitter followers
Whose idea was it?
• Steve Massey
• Procurement Manager Sandwell MBC
• Ex Rolls Royce
• Nominated ‘Achiever of the Year’ at
‘Celebrating Construction 2015’ in
• West Midlands Virtual Hospital uses B.I.M. to create a
• It will help local companies win more business to the
benefit of everyone in the Sandwell Borough
• It will help to ‘upskill’ the industry locally
• It is scaleable and adaptable to other types of project
• It is recognised nationally for its innovation.