Matter of Ethics Lesson Plan
Target Audience: 8th Grade Family Life students
Objectives: To help students understand how web use facilitates copyright infringement and help to
ensure that their website that obeys copyright issues.
Strategy: Use Think, Pair, Share- School-wide initiative to better student reading comprehension.
Assessment: Class discussion and Website check
1. Students will view a video on Copyright and fair use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?
2. Using laptops, students will search for information about fair use.
3. First research alone (10 minutes), [Think]
4. Then with a group of three, students will create a list of information regarding copyright and fair
use on posters. (Groupings by topic so class can chunk information). (10 minutes) [Pair]
5. Finally we will post group info on posters around the room and discuss info presented by
students. (10 minutes) [Share]
Info for groups:
• Define Fair use
• What are exceptions?
• What are penalties?
6. Class discussion- (10 minutes)
a. What are some ways you and/or people you know have not used information that
you’ve attained from the internet fairly?
b. Does your website for this class obey fair use and copyright laws?
c. Repair issues on your site so that your material is all used fairly.
7. Homework: Edit student websites (already created) to ensure proper adherence of laws for fair