Toward National Platforms for Australian Health
Canberra March 2019
Clinical studies data
1. Australia invests considerably in clinical studies and a significant output of those
studies is data
2. There is (potential) value in the output data from these studies for increased
integrity and innovation in research.
1. Current data maintenance and exploitation arrangements are at worst non-
existent or at best not reflective of their status as national research data assets.
2. A nationally supported/coordinated infrastructure approach to the data and its
re-use would contribute positively to the health research community.
1. (How) would the research community like to use clinical
studies data for research?
2. What kind of coordination/infrastructure would make that
3. What could help make this happen? What could stop it?
4. Who could take this idea forward?
“National research infrastructure
comprises the nationally significant
assets, facilities and services to
support leading-edge research and
innovation. It is accessible to
publicly and privately funded users
across Australia, and
“how do we want to use
data, and what
infrastructure will allow us
to do that most efficiently?”
1. What contribution can this data play to research integrity and
2. What new research activity can be enabled if this data is
managed as research infrastructure asset?
3. Where can time be saved?
What is the research value in clinical study data?