ANDS program of support for spatial data 2017 2018-Narsimha Garlapati
ANDS Program of support for Spatial Data
GeoNetwork CoP - Canberra
The Australian National Data Service (ANDS) makes
Australia’s research data assets more valuable for
researchers, research institutions and the nation.
● ANDS is working with partners and communities on
research data projects and collaborations.
● ANDS works collaboratively with data providers and
publicly funded research institutions within Australia
● ANDS works with partners to support good management,
sharing, discovery and reuse of research data.
Research Intensive Public sector
1. Research institutions
2. NCRIS partners
3. High Performance
1. State and Federal
ANDS facilitated communities provide a platform for ongoing
support, information exchange, best practice and problem
solving related research data.
Geoscience Data Community
● ANDS supports the geoscience academia and public sector
community to make their data discoverable.
● ANDS can assist with the implementation of standards,
IGSN,identifiers, citation minting plus provide awareness
of discipline tools.
ANDS, RDS and Nectar
Working together….and more closely
● Make Australia’s research data assets more valuable for researchers,
research institutions and the nation
● Providing an online infrastructure to connect, collaborate & contribute
● Enabling researchers to easily store, discover, access and share their
Developing partnership with data (spatial) rich agencies like BoM,
DoE,Geoscience Australia, NCRIS partners ( IMOS, ALA, TERN, NCI, Virtual
● To promote the user standards (data/discovery) , e.g...
▪ GeoNetwork, ISO19115, ANZLIC, MCP and other metadata profiles
▪ Data management,DOIs
To get involved:
Together, ANDS and our partners across Australia are building
strong and vibrant research data communities.
• Join our workshops and webinars held throughout the year:
• Join the ANDS General Google group by emailing:
• Subscribe to our e-newsletter andsUP:
• Follow @andsdata on Twitter
ANDS delivers national services to support
data discovery,connection, publishing,
sharing, use and reuse.
Currently we manage four primary online services:
● Research Data Australia (research data discovery portal)
● DOI minting service (Cite My Data)
● Handle minting service (Identify My Data)
● Research Vocabularies Australia (controlled vocabularies)
and much more to come….
ANDS and data discovery
● ANDS has established Research Data Australia (RDA), an
internet-based discovery service
● RDA draws data descriptions from more than 90
institutions to aggregate and showcase Australian data
nationally and internationally
● ANDS can also provide advice on metadata, data citation
and long-term data identifiers.
● Working group for services
ANDS is building the data skills and capacity of Australia's research
● Providing resources and training such as webinars, workshops
▪ Monthly Tech Talks
▪ Developing guides
▪ Organising and supporting events
▪ Connecting the research, spatial data and technology
▪ Geospatial workshop on “Drones, Geo-ethics and Big
data-Challenges and Opportunities”
▪ This workshop is scheduled in June 2017….Please stay
tuned for more updates….
With the exception of third party images or where otherwise indicated, this work is
licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 International Attribution Licence.
ANDS is supported by the Australian
Government through the National Collaborative
Research Infrastructure Strategy Program.
Monash University leads the partnership with
the Australian National University and CSIRO.
Talk to us about working with you to achieve your data ambitions: