Presented by Mia Urman, CEO of AuraPlayer - Dec 2014
AuraPlayer is a cutting edge technology company that provides unique solutions to integrate, modernize, extend, and mobilize Oracle Forms and EBS systems. AuraPlayer's patent pending technology "wraps" existing EBS and Oracle Forms systems as web services within hours without writing one line of code. The result is an open, agile, and accessible Forms business process.
For more information on AuraPlayer and on Oracle Forms:
Bring Your Legacy Applications to the Mobile World - DOAG 2014
Bring Your Legacy Applications
to the Mobile World
Mia Urman, AuraPlayer
• Oracle Development Geek for 15 years.
• 6 years at Oracle as a senior support analyst and local product
manager of Forms and ADF.
• CEO and Founder of AuraPlayer - Addressing Oracle Forms
modernization challenges encountered at blue chip customers
• Board member of ODTUG, Leader of the ilOUG Oracle
Developer Group and presenter of Oracle tools at international
conferences OOW, Kscope, UKOUG …
− What is your current Oracle Forms / Oracle EBS Version ?
− Are you interested in mobility?
− Have you begun to think about mobile strategy?
− Do you have devices in the company today? What type -
Tablet or smartphone?
− What OS will they need to support - iOS / Android or also
Window CE / Blackberry?
− Do you have Mobile developers in house?
Building a Legacy to Mobile Strategy
– Why Go Mobile?
– Things to Consider
– Introducing Oracle Mobile Framework
– Understanding Architecture
– How we do it
Understand your business from Users
“Tell Me More About That”
• Observe real end users doing real work:
Can we make them more productive?
• Watch surrounding and environmental
challenges: Can we improve employees
• Are users missing data to do their jobs?
• Enhance data gathering: cameras, SMS,
social media, personal , location, voice
Analyze Mobile Requirements
• What OS: iOS / Android / Windows
• Device type, Screen size
• Device Features / Capabilities
• Offline / Connected
• Processing power
• Types of Users – Occasional, Internal/external
• Type of Applications – Browser Based / Hybrid
• No mouse, Function keys
• Using gestures
• Harder to type
• Smaller screen / Less screens
• Difficult to touch small elements
• Slower network – Disconnects
Consider Mobile Challenges
Are you ready for mobile?
• New development tools and environments
• Xcode / Android
• Development machines
• Mobile developers
• Mobile Infrastructure
• Service Bus
Business Services Development
§ Code logic with Java
§ Lightweight JVM
§ Easy access to Remote - Web service
– REST XML, REST JSON
§ Local Business Logic
– Java Classes
– SQLite DB - Portable, lightweight relational database
Data Caching Challenges
§ Mobile devices can lose/turn off connectivity
§ Offline access to data is a common requirement
§ But it will increase the complexity of your application
§ If you cache data locally you must consider
– When to cache the data
– How much data to cache
– When to synchronize updates
– Recording the order of updates
– How to deal with synchronization conflicts
– Security of the data if the device is lost
• Understanding the business process we want to translate to the small
• Selecting what input and output data we to run the business process.
How We Do It: Step 1
Define Business Process and Data
• Identifying expected results
What output data and messages do we want to
receive from the Forms system
• Decide Navigation of user through
• Expose business processes as services
• Use pre-built APIs supplied by providers to build connected systems
• Create your own Services using development tools
How We Do It: Step 2
Create the Service Layer
Creating a PLSQL Service Jdeveloper
• Create ADF DataControls for Webservice URL – REST/SOAP
Unlock Oracle Forms Systems as Services
Expose existing systems
as Webservices without writing one
line of code
Same System Many UI / Devices
One System – For both Desktop and Any UI
Considerations For Modernization Projects
• Asses Your Requirements
• What business processes do we need to mobilize
• What platforms do we need to deploy to?
• Analysis of Your Existing System
• Where does the business logic sit today?
• What data will I need the go
• Define Mobilization Goals
• Wire framing
• Timeline and Budget
• Decide on Implementation Method
• MAF, HTML5, iOS/Android
§ Tips and Tricks
§ Common Bugs
§ How to documents
§ Mia Urman - email@example.com
§ Mobile on OTN
§ Oracle Mobile Blog
§ Oracle Forms Community Blog
§ @Jdeveloper, Facebook.com/Jdeveloper
§ AuraPlayer – www.auraplayer.com or firstname.lastname@example.org @auraplayer