DATABASE MAINTENANCE & SUPPORT
Case study of leading life sciences company
• Leading Life Science Company leverages database maintenance & support
operations to reduce cost and improve efficiency
• An US based multinational organization, from the life sciences vertical, known
for their medical devices, pharmaceutical and consumer packaged goods and
having across the globe in more than 60 countries. Their products are sold in
over 175 countries and had worldwide sales of $65 billion for the calendar year
of 2011.Through their health care services & products they touch the lives of
over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
• Facing database administration and maintenance issues due to increase in
number of database sizes and its effect on infrastructure and performance
decided to partner with Atlas Systems to manage the database infrastructure
supporting its internal operations.
• Using Atlas Systems Enterprise Database management services, the client
successfully delivered a full suite of end-to-end capabilities ranging from design
and development to support, management, monitoring, and migration and
tuning for more than 3000 Oracle and SQL DB Instances along with
infrastructure and disaster recovery services. In the process, the client leveraged
sustainable cost reduction through our DB services.
• The customer had over 6,000 Oracle and SQL databases instances deployed
worldwide, with many running mission-critical business applications.
• Through an integrated support process, customer wanted to improve customer
service levels and also better availability and support of important systems and
processes.This necessitated a combination of 24x7 and 8x5 global, consolidated,
robust support model for database administration and maintenance, and the
ability to comply with Sarbanes Oxley regulatory requirements.
• The support coverage included a slew of manual database monitoring activities
such as daily monitoring, heath checks, troubleshooting, resolution for alerts,
maintenance of databases, performance tuning, documentation etc.
• Atlas team engaged with the customer to assess their existing DB landscape and identified
areas for enhancing operational efficiency.Atlas identified & deployed a database management
and support model:
• Aligned with industry best ITIL Framework, such as, incident management, problem
management, service level management, and change management.
• Deployed Onsite-offshore model with skilled resources (30 DBAs with both L-3 & L-4
• 24x7 Oracle/SQL Database Monitoring,Administration andTroubleshooting services
• Ticket handling and resolution for databases
• SLA based response and resolutions
• DBA team handled all the L-3 & L-4 support tickets and tasks, including engineering, patch
management, compliance and disaster recovery
• Team also coordinated routine tasks that were triaged to L-1 & L-2 DBAs.
• Automation of most of the existing manual processes resulting in considerable cost
savings through saved person hours.
• Atlas DBAs ensured the customer met all its regulatory obligations, following clearly deﬁned
protocols and policies.
• Enablers: Customer Focused, Experience participation processes and tools synergized with
broad industry experience, domain knowledge, tech skills & Program management
• Atlas systems engagement with the Customer has led to a more disciplined approach
to database & infrastructure management, increased productivity, reduced hardware
costs, energy use, licensing costs, and administrative overhead.
• The SLAs offered to the customer could not be distinguished from in-house
performance due to the 24x7 support enabled by Atlas’ presence at customer location
and off shore from India in different shifts.
• Other benefits to the customer include:
• 24X7 Hybrid - Onsite Offshore support model ensured round the clock coverage
reducing the business loss occurring due to unplanned downtimes
• Considerable savings in time and improved efficiency due to automation and SQL
• Significant reduction in monitoring time
• Process streamlined by advocating ITIL framework
• SOX compliant laws
• Developed and deployed productivity improvement tools
• Reduction in time taken to consolidate the health check reports
• Automation of the DB growth chart report leading to fewer servers to manage
and lower licensing costs