Hospital Linen & Laundry services are responsible for providing safe, clean,
adequate and timely Supply of Linen to the Hospital at the right time, right price,
right quantity and right place.
Inhouse Linen and laundry services of hospitals ensure there is an
adequate quantity of clean and hygienic linen available in the hospital at every
time. The cost of washing linen is under control and there is no need to
transport linen elsewhere and wait for it to get delivered. Mechanized laundry is
the best way to supply fresh stocks of linen everyday.
● Mostly B2C(with exceptions)
● Process small quantities(mostly)
● Trained manpower required
● Centralised establishment in cities
● Cater to Hospitality & Healthcare Industries
● Process large volumes of laundry
● Large commercial grade equipments required
● Trained manpower required
● Require bigger establishments
● Cater to household laundry
● Process small quantity of laundry
● Small equipments used
● Less manpower required
● Require small establishments to function
Types of Laundries in India
Overview of Hospital Laundry Service
Hospital laundry service is a specialized service that provides washing, sanitizing, and
disinfecting of linens, garments, and other items used in patient care. The following is an
overview of hospital laundry service:
1. Types of laundry services: Hospital laundry services can include bed linens, gowns,
towels, patient apparel, and other items used in patient care. They may also offer
specialized services such as laundering of surgical instruments, lab coats, and mats.
2. Equipment used: Hospital laundry services use commercial-grade washing
machines, dryers, and ironers to clean and process linens and garments. They also
use specialized equipment such as autoclaves and washer-disinfectors to sanitize
and disinfect items.
3. Workflow: The workflow of hospital laundry service typically includes receiving dirty
linens and garments, sorting and pre-treating, washing, drying, ironing, folding, and
delivery to the healthcare facility.
4. Standards and regulations: Hospital laundry service providers must comply with
strict standards and regulations.
Some Major Hospitals in India Having
their own Laundry Service:
● AIIMS - New Delhi
● Fortis Hospital - Multiple Locations
● Apollo Hospital - Multiple Locations
● Max Healthcare - Multiple Locations
● Tata Memorial Hospital - Mumbai
● Nanavati Hospital - Mumbai
● Medanta The Medicity - Gurugram
● Many More
The following are some of the key reasons why hospital laundry service is
● Patient Safety: Clean and properly laundered linens and garments can reduce
the risk of infection and improve patient safety.
● Hygiene: Hospital laundry service helps to maintain high standards of hygiene
by washing, sanitizing, and disinfecting all linens, garments, and other items
used in patient care.
● Cost Savings: Outsourcing laundry services reduces the need for costly
equipment, detergents, and staffing.
● Environmental Sustainability: Hospital laundry services can reduce the
environmental impact of healthcare facilities by using energy-efficient
equipment and environmentally-friendly detergents.
● Quality Control: Hospital laundry service providers follow strict quality control
measures to ensure that linens and garments are cleaned, sanitized, and
disinfected to the highest standards.
Importance of Hospital Laundry Service
Types of linen Services
Offered by Hospital
★ Bed linens: This includes sheets, pillowcases,
and mattress covers used in patient rooms.
★ Patient apparel: This includes gowns, robes,
and pajamas used by patients during their
★ Towels: This includes hand towels, bath
towels, and washcloths used in patient rooms
★ Kitchen Linen: This includes clothes used in
★ Curtains & Staff Linen: This includes coats
worn by staff members & Curtains.
★ Mats: This includes floor mats used in patient
rooms and other areas of the hospital.
★ Blankets: This includes patient & staff
Hospital laundry services use a variety of
specialized equipment to clean, sanitize, and
disinfect linens, garments, and other items used in
patient care. Some of the most common equipment
used in hospital laundry include:
1. Washing machines: Commercial-
grade washing machines with large
capacities are used to wash linens
2. Dryers: Commercial-grade dryers
are used to dry linens and garments
after they have been washed.
3. Ironers: Commercial-grade ironers
are used to press linens and
garments to remove wrinkles and
provide a finished look.
4. Autoclaves: Autoclaves are high-
pressure steam sterilizers used to
sterilize and disinfect linens and
5. Sorting and folding equipment:
This includes sorting tables, and
folding machines that are used to
sort, fold, and package linens and
garments for delivery to the
Minimum 120 Kg Capacity
Dryer(Capacity) Minimum 120 Kg Capacity
Flatbed Ironer Minimum Speed 6 - 7 Metre / Min
List of Major Equipments Required with Capacity
Autoclave Minimum 100 Litre Capacity
Workflow of Hospital Laundry
& Pre treatment
Sorted & Weighed
Infected & Soiled
Linen(dirt, vomits, faecal
matter, blood & body
Sent for Sluicing
Ironing, Folding &
antiseptic materials) & Drying
Reception & Receiving Area
Washing & Drying Area
Ironing & Folding Area
5 Tinopal - 50gms
Soda Ash - 2Kg
Neel - 50gms.
1 Detergent/Soap - 1.2Kg
Bleaching Powder(Or Other
Agents) - 0.5 Kg
Detergent Requirement Per 100 Kg Linen
INR 85 / Kg
INR 80 / Kg
INR 90 / Kg
INR 75 / Kg Blanket(Single)
Cost of Washing Per Kg of Linen & Apparels
Advantage of Mechanised Hospital Laundry
➔ Reduces damage to linen and loss.
➔ Regular supply of linen is ensured.
➔ Less dependency on climate.
➔ Safe handling of soiled and infected linen.
➔ Complete control on washing formula for different types of linen.
➔ Reduces chances of patient and hospital infection.
➔ Sterility is ensured.
➔ Strict Quality Control.
➔ Environment Sustainability.
In hospital laundry service
In hospital laundry service
❏ Maintaining high level of hygiene
❏ Maintaining high volumes of
❏ Managing a complex supply chain.
❏ Maintaining high levels of quality
❏ Using specialized detergents,
disinfectants & equipments.
❏ Investing in high capacity
commercial grade equipment to
handle large volumes.
❏ Implementing robust supply chain
❏ Implementing quality control
Best practices for
ensuring quality &
safety in hospital
Establishing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) in
collection, sorting, washing, drying, ironing, packing & delivery
Using specialized detergents & disinfectants
Implementing regular quality control process such as regular
audits & inspections.
Providing regular training to laundry staff regarding best
practices for laundry, machines & washing material handling.
Regular maintenance & service of laundry equipment
Properly transporting dirty linen & garments as well as
clean packed linen & garments.
Future of Hospital Laundry in India
1. Increased use of technology: The use of technology is likely to increase in hospital laundry services, including
the use of automation and robotics for sorting, washing, and folding of linens and garments. This can help to
increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve the quality of the laundry service.
2. Adoption of sustainable practices: As awareness of environmental sustainability grows, hospital laundry
services are likely to adopt more sustainable practices, including the use of energy-efficient equipment, reducing
water usage, and reducing the use of single-use plastics.
3. Growing demand for on-site laundry services: As healthcare facilities look for ways to improve patient
satisfaction and reduce costs, there is likely to be a growing demand for on-site laundry services that can provide
high-quality, efficient, and reliable laundry services.
4. Increased focus on patient satisfaction: The focus on patient satisfaction is likely to continue to grow, and
hospital laundry services will play a critical role in ensuring that patients are provided with clean and comfortable
linens and garments.
5. New regulations and standards: As regulations and standards around healthcare delivery continue to evolve,
hospital laundry services will need to adapt to these changes to ensure that they are providing high-quality, safe,
and efficient laundry services.