• Microturbine overview
• Components of Microturbines
• Working Principle
• Types of Microturbines
MicroTurbines are new type of combustion
turbine used for stationary energy generation.
The concept is evolved from automotive and
truck turbochargers, auxiliary power units (APU)
Approximately the size of a refrigerator with
outputs of 25 kW to 500 kW.
They provide not only electricity , but also the
thermal energy to provide for all heating and
Microturbine producing power, as well as heat
• Commercially Available Yes (Limited)
• Size Range 25-500 kW
• Fuel Natural gas, hydrogen,
• Efficiency 20-30% (Recuperated)
• Environmental Low (<9-50 ppm) NOx
• Other Features Cogeneration (50-80°C water)
• Commercial Status Small volume production,
commercial prototypes now.
• Compressed air is mixed with
fuel and burned under
constant pressure conditions.
• Efficiency 15%.
• A sheet metal heat exchanger
(recuperator) recovers temperature
of the air stream supplied to the
• Efficiency 20~30%.
• Small number of moving parts
• Compact size
• Good efficiencies in cogeneration
• Low emission
• Can utilize waste fuels
• Long maintenance interval
• No vibration
• Less noise than reciprocating engines
Peak shaving and base load power (grid parallel)
Combined heat and power (co-generation)
Distributed power generation
Primary power with grid as backup
Heat loss due to the high surface to volume
manufacturing the components (turbine
Generation of thermal stresses
Design of air bearings
Micro turbine can use low grade of fuel very effectively
like waste gases, sour gases etc.
Thus micro turbine gives chance of low fuel cost and less
The dimensions of micro turbine comparatively small by
which it can be installed at field where power is consumed.
Micro turbine is also effective in CHP operation.
In India the micro turbine is quite useful.
The power shortage effect can be solved using micro
turbine, using fuels like biogas, etc.
• Bowman power systems
• Capstone Turbine Cooperation
• Elliott energy systems
• Turbec AB
• Ingersoll-Rand Company