Social Media Marketing
A s h w i n H a r i k u ma r
What is Social Media Marketing?
• Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms
and websites to promote a product or service.
• On a strategic level, social media marketing includes the
management of the implementation of a marketing
campaign, setting the scope and the establishment of a
firm's desired social media "culture" and "tone“.
• Social media is still a wonderful place for brands to have a
little fun, but it also has a real and measurable impact on a
business bottom line.
Facebook & Youtube are the main Social
Media Marketing tool used all over the
world after websites.
7 Steps in Creating a Winning Social
Media Marketing Strategy
Step 1: Ensure Social Goals Solve Challenges
Step 2: Extend Efforts Throughout Your Organization
Step 3: Focus on Networks That Add Value
Step 4: Create Engaging Content
Step 5: Identify Business Opportunities Through Social
Step 6: Engage Instead of Ignore
Step 7: Track, Improve and Market Your Efforts
• Marketing techniques that use pre-existing social
networking services and other technologies to try to
produce increases in brand awareness or to achieve
other marketing objectives through self-
replicating viral processes.
• Viral advertising is personal and, while coming from an
identified sponsor, it does not mean businesses pay for
• It can be delivered by word of mouth or enhanced by
the network effects of the Internet and mobile networks
Exapmles of Social Media
& Viral marketing
• ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Viral Marketing Example
• Burger King’s Subservient Chicken
• The 2010 Old Spice ad campaign that featured the handsome man who
purported to speak directly to women when he said, “Your man could
smell like me.” A single 30-second commercial effectively reinvented
the Old Spice brand for a new generation.Though the commercial was
only advertising Old Spice’s body wash, it made all of the brand’s
products. The video went viral because it was seemingly shot in one
take while the man listed all of the reasons why he is more desirable
than any of the viewers’ partners