Successfully reported this slideshow.
• Direct questions carry 20 points
• Passed question carry 10 points
• POUNCE – Gives you a chance to score even if
the question is not direct. Register your
answer for pounce before the question is
made open to all. You get +20 if your answer is
right and -10 if your answer is wrong
• Participants will be given 3 clues
one after another.
• First clue is displayed for you.
Subsequent clues will be displayed
• 20, 15 and 10 points for answering
on the first, second and third clues
•Pounce is open only for the first
• MANY VERSIONS OF HIS
DEATH EXIST, THE MOST
POPULAR ONE BEING
SACRIFICED TO ENSURE
VICTORY IN THE BATTLE FOR
• A VERY POPULAR TAMIL
RITUAL IS OBSERVED BY A
COMMUNITY IN TAMIL NADU;
INFACT THE COMMUNITY
DERIVES ITS NAME FROM HIM.
ARAVAN / IRAVAN
WHO IS HE?
• HE EMERGED FROM FIRE A FULLY GROWN
AND ARMED MAN WITH THE PURPOSE OF
KILLING A MAN
• HE WAS KILLED AFTER THE WAR
• HE WAS THE FIRST COMMANDER OF THE
• Robert Oppenheimer quoted “now I have become
death, the destroyer of worlds” after witnessing the
first nuclear explosion. Later , he said that he took
the inspiration for the above statement from x.
• X inspired the Indian freedom movement to a large
• X refers to particular group of 700 verses in the
THE BHAGAVAD GITA
They are a group of 5 men who are called
by a collective name in the Mahabharata
(not the Pandavas)
• They were mistaken for their fathers by
• They were killed in the Sauptika Parva
The sons of Draupadi born from each of the
IDENTIFY THE BOOK
• The book talks about the origin of cosmos, lineage of
the kings of solar and lunar dynasties. It contains the
story of Yayaati, Puru, Kuru, and also talks about
Janamejaya and his Sarpayaaga
• It contains 2 major sub- divisions
• It is often considered to be an extension(khila) to the
• Name of yogic power used by
Sanjaya to narrate the happening in
Kurukshetra to Dhrithirashtra.
• Valmiki was blessed with the same
• It is a common word in Indian
Characters common to both Ramayana
1) Yudhisthira’s chariot was always 4 inches above the
ground. This was because in spite of being a mere mortal,
he always followed the dharma. But after a certain
incident it touched the ground. On account of what
mistake on the part of Yudhisthira did this occur?
Explain fully. No part points.
During the battle , he lied to Dronacharya that
Ashvattama (the elephant) had died. Drona as a
result sat in meditation and was slain by
2) The word Danda in Samskrtam means punishment.
Incidentally Rama spent a considerable time of his exile in the
Dandaka vana which literal translation gives the meaning “The
cursed jungle”. Why was this jungle called Dandaka and explain
the incident behind it.
Dandan, a king molested the daughter of
Sukracharya. In anger, Sukracharya gave a curse that
the kingdom would be reduced to ashes. The place
destroyed by Sukracharya's curse was the Dandaka
vana. When Rama went to Dandaka vana during his
period of exile, the curse of thse jungle was
3) During the end of the 13th year of
incognito, the Kauravas attacked the kingdom of
Virata suspecting that Pandavas were in
incognito in that kingdom. Which incident made
them suspect Pandava presence in the kingdom
The news of the death of Kichaka, brother- in- law
of the Virata king supposedly killed by a gandharva
for misbehaving with his wife reached the Kauravas.
They rightly suspected that the woman in question
was Draupadi and it was Bhima who had killed
4) Why did Janamejaya perform the
Parikshit, father of Janamejaya was killed by the
snake- chieftain , Takshak. Janamejaya thus bore a
deep grudge toward serpents and decided to conduct
a serpent sacrifice which would wipe out all the living
5) Why did Ganges drown seven of
The eight vasus led by Prabhas stole the cow Kamadhenu from
Vasistha on the insistence of their wives. As a result Vasistha
cursed them to be born in the world of men. Upon appealing to
the sage, their curse was mitigated. Seven of them would die as
soon as they would be born but Prabhas would lead a long life.
As a result of the curse, Ganges drowned her seven sons .
Prabhas became Bhisma.
6) The four sons of Dasaratha were very close and
affectionate towards each other another.
Interestingly, though Lakshmana and Shathrugna
were twins, Lakshmana was more attached to Rama
and similarly Shatrugna to Bharatha. What was the
reason for this?
Kausalya and Kaikeyi gave one portion of their
divine Payasam each to Sumitra . Lakshmana was
born out of the part given by Kausalya and thus
was a part of the atma of Rama.
Similarly, Shatrugna was a part of atma of
Bharatha. Hence the special closeness between
the two sets of brothers.
1) This is a one- act play written by Bhasa which depicts
Duryodhana in good light . It violates many rules of a
drama laid down in the Natyasastra yet it is considered
to be a master piece. Its story has also been adopted by
modern theatre with modifications.
play in 6 acts by Bhatta- Narayana
describes Bhima outrage at the insult meted
out to the Pandavas and the vow he takes to
dip his hand in Dushasana’s blood and then tie
Mahabharata and Ramayana are great
epics. It is often very difficult to even read and
understand both these epics completely. But this
genius from Kashmir not only mastered both
these epics but also wrote manjaris (condensed
versions of both these epics). Name the person.
) Kalidasa is known for his poems but
he was also a playwright. He wrote 2
plays based on Mahabharata which
bought him international acclaim.
Name the 2 plays.
king was a polymath of medieval India,
who ruled the kingdom of Malwa in central India
from the early 11th century to 1055 CE. He
belonged to the Paramara dynasty.
He wrote a beautiful champu of Ramayana
which widely read even today. Name this king
who also wrote many books on a variety of
subjects including chemistry, civil engineering
and law. Who is he?
6) X has done a television show on CNBC-TV18
with host Maneka Doshi called Business Sutra.
The shows draws business lessons from Hindu
epics Ramayana and Mahabharata. X is a doctor
by profession but he has written a best- seller
based on Mahabharata.
RULES FOR THIS ROUND
• 2 questions will be displayed out of
which the team is required to answer
• Pounce is applicable only on the first
• Second question will be displayed
after the interval for pounce.
1) Name the 3 stages of
Identify the verse.
Jayam, Bharatham and
List the 7 Khandas of Ramayana in order.
2) Many versions of Ramayana exist, among
them this version is very popular in a
particular region. The first half of this
Ramayana is almost an exact rendition from
Bhatti-kavya but the second half is very
different from the Sanskrit version of
Ramayana. Name this version of Ramayana
which is famous in a small group of islands in
the Pacific Ocean.
1) Bala Khanda, Ayodhya Khanda, Aranya
Khanda, Kishkindha Khanda, Sundara
Khanda, Yuddha Khanda And Uttara
2) JAVANESE RAMAYANA/Kakawin
1) In which parva of the Mahabharata does the
incident of “YAKSHAPRASNA” take place?
2)Few characters are common to both the epics.
Sometimes the same names are used for 2 different
characters in both the epics altogether. X and Y are 2
X in Mahabharata was the king of Nishada. He
lost his kingdom, wife and even lost his physical form
due to the influence of Lord Shani. He eventually
Y in Ramayana was a great engineer who was
instrumental in constructing the Sethusamudram.
ID X and Y.
2)NALA- The story of Nala is recited
to Yudhisthira in the Vana parva of
1)Which Parva narrates the story of the
destruction of the Yadu Kula?
2)X and Y were 2 Yadava warriors who fought
on opposite sides of the Mahabharata war. X
fought for the Kauravas and was also the head
of the Narayana Sena. Y naturally fought for
the Pandavas. In the above parva of
Mahabharata, Y attacks and kills X . This
results in infighting among the Yadavas and
their ultimate destruction. ID X and Y.
2) X - Kritvarma; Y - Satyaki
1)Tulasidas composed the Ramcharitha manas in
which language? Please be specific about the
2)A very popular maidan in Delhi is named after
the tradition derived from Tulsidas
Ramcharitamanas . This tradition takes place at
this maidan every year. Name the tradition and
2) Ramlila. Ramcharitamanas spread the
popularity of Ramayana in the northern
part of our country and most of the
ramalilas staged today are inspired form
this version of the Ramayana.
1) Explain the significance of the verse –
“tapaH svaadhyaaya nirataam tapasvii
vaagvidaam varam |
naaradam paripapracCha vaalmiikiH
2)Give two reasons why the Bala Khanda
and Uttara Khanda are considered to
later additions to the main story of
1) First verse of Ramayana
2) Traditional recitation of the Ramayana
ends with the Rama pattabhisheka.
In other 5 khandas Rama spoken of a
human being, while in Bala and Uttara
Khanda he is spoken as a divine incarnation.
Few inconsistencies are there between the
Bala and Uttara khanda and the rest of the
RULES FOR RAPID FIRE
• 7 questions will be asked to each team.
• Time limit – 45 seconds
• The team can pass questions. Passed
questions will be asked after the end of the
• No negatives.
1) Who was the brother in law of the kauravas?
2) Name the grandson of lord Krishna?
3) Name Vali’s son.
4) Name a neutral king in the kurushetra war?
5) Who was the father of Jatayu?
6) Name the village from which Bharatha ruled for
14 years in place of Rama.
7) What was the original name of Ved Vyasa?
4) Rukma, the brother of Rukmani
5) Aruna, the dawn- god
7) Krishna- Dwaipayana
1) Who shot the first arrow in the kurushetra war?
2) Name the cow of Sage Vasishta?
3) Which sage was the foster father of Shakunthala?
4) Give the name which Draupadi adopted when she was
working as a maid – servant in the Virata kingdom.
5) Name the wife of Indrajit.
6) Name the tribal women who devotedly served Rama in
the forest and thus gained Moksham.
7)Name the consort of Shatrugna
3) Sage Kanva
1)Name the son born of Satyaki and sage Parasara?
2)Name the son of Abhimanyu.
3)Name the prince of Virata kingdom.
4)Name the rakshasi who had a dream about the destruction of Lanka. She was
also a good companion to Sita.
5) Name the virtuous Kaurava who condemned his brothers for their behaviour
towards Draupadi after the game of dice.
6)Name the conch of Arjuna.
7)Name the ruler of Trigatha
1) Ved Vyasa- the author of Ramayana
1) Which sage supervised the Putra- Kaamesthi yaaga for Dasaratha?
2) Name Prahalada’s son
3) Who was King Brihadraatha’s son?
4) Name sage Vishvamitra’s sister.
5) Who was Ekalavya’s father?
6) Name Sukracharya’s father .
7) Name vessel given to Yudhisthira by Sun- God during the beginning of
the exile of the Pandavas.
1) Name the priest who was constantly with the Pandavas during their 12
years of exile.
2) Name the father of Dronacharya.
3) Name the flower that Bhima went in search of (for Draupadi’s sake ) when
the Pandavas were in exile.
4) Name Kumbhakarna’s sons.
5) Who was sage Atri’s son?
6)Name the rakshasi who guarded Lanka.
7) Name the last parva of Mahabharatha
4) Kumbha and Nikumbha
7) Svargarohana parva (Ascent to heaven)
1)Who was Kaikeyi’s father?
2) Name Vasishta’s son.
3)Which sage cursed Pandu that he would die if he had physical relationship
with his wives?
4)Who gave Arjuna the Gandiva bow?
5)How many divisions of army fought in the great war?
6) Who killed the maximum number of warriors in the Mahabharatha war?
7) Which princess of Kashi was born again as Sikhandi to kill Bhishma?
3) Sage Kindam
4) Lord Varuna