Social media : New
challenge for Media
Dr Ashok Sharma, Assistant professor
Institute of Mass Communication & Media Technology
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Social media danger ?
"Social Media misuse needs to be checked" Prime minister
"There is no effective mechanism at present to stop the
spread of hatred during inducing material on social media"-
Akilesh yadav, chief minister, Utter Pradesh
" Social media service provider should have the capacity to
identify the people who sends such material –Bhupinder sing
hooda, chief minister Haryana
" There should be a social media laboratory under the state
intelligence department to monitor posts likely to endanger
communal harmony"-Prihviraj chavan, chief minister,
"Social media is like teen sex, every
one wants to do it. Nobody knows
how? Everyone hopes it will be great
when they finally do it"
Social Media Platforms
• Social Media-Internet forums, Blogs, Wikis,
Social networks, Podcasts etc.
• Social Media are Interactive platforms where
individuals and communities create and share user
• Creators of new cyber-geography
According to Internet & Mobile
association of India 58.4 Crore
mobile & 14.5 crore internet
media user in India
84 % of social media user are
school & college going young minds
of this country
Impact of Social Media
• Everyone is now journalist upload content
and publish on any website
• News & information available any time any
• Maximization of information this is good
• Socio-Political Movements where social
media acted as a opinion maker and opinion
shaper- Arab spring-Egypt, Tunisia, Syria,
Libya Anna Hazare , Lok Sabha elections,
Delhi Gang rape case.
Other pictures of social media
• Dominant negative effects which are- social, psychological,
behavioural, cultural and even physical too.
• One of the most popular sites Facebook gives false sense of
security where as it can be accessed to personal
• Other social networking sites such as my space etc. offer
even less security and protection because they are open to
• Monitoring of social networking sites and their regulation is
• Inappropriate pictures, statements hunt one and another
and are breach of privacy.
• Hatred, vulgarity, unparliamentarily postings are common.
Other pictures of Social Media
• Hackers hack the account and can lend you to any
kind of trouble- financial, social, national security
breaching, fraud etc.
• Web is a source of useful information but when
used without restrictions creates dangerous
environment. Pornographic, erotic websites
attract users. Harassment, bullying, sick
comments are the dangers.
Impact on journalism
• Death of professional journalism ?
• Accountability, ethics standards are
• Leading to a Chaotic society
• Miss information campaign will on the
• Half bake information will be
availabel to people
Why Young people are
using these platforms?
• "They want to make a difference in the
• Choice of occupation is also a mission for
the young minds
• They want to be story tellers of the
• They are ready to be the mirror of the
Can we preserve journalist
& journalism in future ?
• We can no longer claim exclusive
preserve of journalist & journalism in
• Social media gave power to
disseminate news & information
internationally in a instant
Loosing distinction between
journalist & communicators
• New media producing a new breed of
young communicators & journalist
• New media become a alternate platform for
journalist who working with mainstream
citizen become a
• Ordinary citizens are producing
report, commentary and opinion are
now a days
• Our challenge is educate our fellow
citizen on the mindful use of this
• We should educate journalist, serious
bogglers, citizen journalist to adopt a
mindful approach to their news &
• We should think carefully about the
• Government should evolve a system of
check & balances
• Structural changes in the education system & the
syllabi of the media education
• Practical & field oriented education
• Capsule training program for new breed of
• News Flow should be regulated
• Frequency of publication of news by the main
stream media will have to be change to meet the
new rising needs of the society
• Do not post private information
• Stay safe
• Utilize privacy settings- you can control who has access to
your personal information.
• Place high security settings
• Use different password for social networking sites than you
use for online banking
• Do not divulge information to others.
• Be careful while clicking on links which has come from
• Install a data protection software
• These sites influence our maturity level, health and
affection towards other.
• Go out in the real world. Meet people and take time to know
someone in person rather than through computerized
• It is zero face to face interaction and make you idle and glue
to PC/phone etc. and physical activity.
How to handle social media- Some Tips