This is largest part of the brain
It is egg shaped organ.
It occupies the anterior & middle cranial
Layers of the Cerebrum
Composed mostly of neuron cell bodies
Fiber tracts inside the gray matter
Example: corpus callosum connects hemispheres
Cerebral Hemispheres (Cerebrum)
Paired (left and right)
superior parts of the
Include more than
half of the brain
Each hemisphere of
cerebrum divided in
Lobes of the Cerebrum:-
Frontal lobe:-Center of reasoning, Planning, Emotion, Speech,
Parietal lobe:-Receive sensory input from Skin (touch, pain,
Occipital lobe:- Receive input from eye.
Temporal lobe:- Hearing, Memory, Speech .
The boundaries of lobes are marked by deep sulci
These are Central, Lateral, Parietal , Occipital sulci
Functional Areas of the Cerebrum:-
Motor area ( Lie in frontal lobe)– sends impulses to
Broca’s area (motor speech) – Situated in
frontal lobe (Control muscle movement necessary for speech)
Sensory area – receives impulses from the body’s
Sensory and Motor Areas of the
Cerebral areas involved in special senses
Gustatory area (taste)
Gustatory area (taste):- Situated above the lateral sulcus
impulses from sensory receptor in taste buds are receive &
Visual area:- Situated in occipital lobe (optic nerve pass from
the eye to this area.
Auditory area (Hearinf0:- Situated below the lateral
sulcus in temporal bone. ( receive & interrupt impulse transmit from
inner ear to auditory part)
Olfactory area (smell):-Situated in temporal lobe were
impulse from nose transited through olfactory nerve are receive &
Thalamus:- Sensory input from skin or special sense.
Hypothalamus:- It is compose of number of nerve cell
It is situated front & below the thalamus.
1. Appetite & satiety
2. Thirst & water balance
3. Regulate body temperature
4. Emotional reaction
Attaches to the spinal cord
Parts of the brain stem
3. Medulla oblongata
4. Cerebrum (Hindbrain)
1. Mid brain:-
• It is the area of brain situated around the
cerebral aqueducts between cerebrum &
• It connect the cerebrum with lower part of
brain & spinal cord
• I t is situated in front of the cerebellum.
• It consist of nerve fiber(white matter).
• Passing fiber from higher level of brain to
spinal cord .
3. Medulla oblongata:-
• It extent from pons above &
• it continuous with spinal cord
• About 2.5 cm long.
• Function:- ( the vital center)
• Cardiovascular center (HR control & BP regulation)
• Respiratory center
• Reflex center of Vomiting, Coughing, Sneezing, &
• It is situated behind the pons
• It occupying posterior cranial fossa
• It help co-ordination of