• I want to buy a phone, but I don’t have enough
• Alex smiles whenever he sees her.
• When I was dating Daina, I had an accident.
• He bought a car which was too expensive.
• I know that he cannot do it.
• He went to London and visited the Lords.
• If you don’t eat, I won’t go.
How to change from phrase to clause
• He expected victory.
• He expected to win the victory.
• He expected that he would win the match.
• They thought about their success.
• They thought about that they would get
• Don’t talk while she is singing.
• Where you live I will live.
• Obey lest you should be punished.
• He drew his sword that he might defend
• As he was not there, I spoke to his brother.
• Come if you wish to.
• Write it down lest you forget all about it.
• Though I am poor I am honest.
• Even if it rains I shall come.
• We shall wait here for you.
• They rested at sunset.
• You may sit anywhere.
• I keep my promise.
• They fought like heroes.
• We have come to help you.
• I took him according to your recommendation.
• The passage is too difficult to comprehend.
Functions of Noun Clause
• 1. The subject of a verb.
• What he said was true.
• When I shall return is uncertain.
• 2. The object of a transitive verb.
• He says that he won’t go.
• Tell me why you did it.
• 3. The object of a preposition.
• I never know how much of what I say is true.
• Pay careful attention to what I am going to say.
• 4. in apposition to a noun or pronoun.
• It was unfortunate that you were absent.
• Your statement that you found the money in
the street will not be believed.
• 5. The complement of a verb of incomplete
• My belief is that he will not come.
• His great fear is that he may fail.
• Adjective clauses begin with relative pronouns,
• They may also begin with relative adverbs, such as:
• My brother, who claimed to have a limp,
sprinted after the bus.
• The carpets that you bought last year have
• Pizza, which most people love, is not very
• Grandpa remembers the old days when there
was no television.
• Students who are intelligent get good grades
Find out clauses
• I know someone whose father served in World
• That he is greedy is known by all.
• If you invite me warmly, I must go.
• He came after night had fallen.
• I asked the boy how old he was.