Embedded Web Technology
• Embedded web technology
• Embedded system & Web technologies
• How EWT works?
• Tempest software
• Embedded Software
• Embedded Web Technology is the
merging of Embedded Systems with the
World Wide Web.
• It decreases the cost of developing and
maintaining the user interface by allowing
the user to interface to the embedded
system through a web browser running on
a standard personal computer.
Embedded Web Technology 20XX 3
Embedded system & Web technologies
• An embedded system is a
microprocessor based system
which is designed to perform a
• Web technologies refers to the
communicate. with each other
using mark up languages
Embedded Web Technology 4
• EWT was developed by
members of NASA Lewis
• It was modified in 2002 .
Embedded Web Technology 5
Embedded web technology
• Embedded Web Technology was developed for the Fluids and Combustion Facility
(FCF) of the International Space Station (ISS)
• One of the goals of the FCF is to be able to perform at least 10 investigations in each
discipline per year for 10 to 15 years.
• In order to meet this goal, it is important for the software to be adaptable to changing
• In the event that the ISS decides to upgrade the laptop computer, the FCF software
team will be required to modify existing user interface code for a new environment
• The FCF software engineering team decided to write their own web server and this
proved successful. The web server, known as Tempest
Embedded Web Technology 6
Embedded Web Technology 7
• The Tempest software, which was written by software
engineers at the NASA Glenn Research Center, is a
web server written specifically for embedded, real-
• Tempest was originally written for the VxWorks ®
operating system from Wind Rivers Systems, Inc. and
then ported to the Java language so that it can run on
any operating system that has a Java Virtual Machine
How it works?
• The embedded Web technology
works on the same principle as
that traditional Web request-
• Web pages from the embedded
system (server) are transmitted to
the Web browser (client) , which
implements the user interface
Embedded Web Technology 8
Web server Environment Vs An Embedded, real-time Environment
• A typical web server runs on a computer that is running a
nonrealtime operating system.
• The embedded, real-time environment is much more restricted.
The system generally consists of an embedded processor
running a real-time operating system and running a real-time
Embedded Web Technology 9
These software-based applications are :
• Database applications
• Internet applications
• Mobile office productivity tools
• Personal applications
Embedded Web Technology 20XX 10
• The embedded system is easy for mass production.
• The embedded system is highly reliable.
• It has very few interconnections.
• The embedded system is small in size.
• The embedded system has less expensive.
• It has fast operation.
• It has improved product quality.
• It optimizes use of system resources.
• It has low power operation.
Embedded Web Technology 20XX 12
• The embedded systems are hard for maintenance as it is use
and throw device.
• It has no technological improvement.
• Less power supply durability if it is battery operated.
• It has hard to take backup of embedded files.
Embedded Web Technology 20XX 13
Web technology in embedded application
has distinct pros over legacy and custom
communication mechanisms due to the
scalability and security. The amount of
knowledge and skills needed to create a
web application may be large. However
this is vastly becoming an important tool
in our lives.
Embedded Web Technology 14