What is the most common way
dwarfism is passed on?
• Most are caused by a spontaneous genetic
mutation in the egg or sperm cells prior to
How is dwarfism found before birth?
• Some types of dwarfism can be identified
through prenatal testing if a doctor suspects a
particular condition and tests for it.
How is dwarfism found after birth?
• The doctor makes a diagnosis based on the
child's appearance, failure to grow, and X-rays
of the bones
Is dwarfism passed by males and
• It can be passed to the offspring by the male or
What is autosomal?
• Autosomal means that it lies on one of the
non-sex chromosomes, and is not in the X or Y
What does dominant mean in a cross
• Dominant means that only one of the 2
chromosomes with the mutation is required to
• That means that there is a 50% chance that a
child of someone with achondroplasia will also
Is genetic mutations the only cause for
• Chromosomal abnormalities, pituitary gland
disorders (which influence growth and
metabolism), absorptive problems (when the
body can't absorb nutrients adequately), and
kidney disease can all lead to short stature if a
child fails to grow at a normal rate
When do you know if you are
diagnosed with dwarfism?
• A person with dwarfism is usually diagnosed
with dwarfism after they are born or after 1-3