The colors play an important role in Design:
• Each color affects Human mind
What is color?
In the year of 1666, English scientist Sir Isaac Newton discovered
that, "when pure white light passes through a prism, it separates into
all of the visible colors. Newton also found that each color is made up
of a single wavelength and cannot be separated any further into
Color Types :
Warm colors - Colors such as red, yellow and orange are known as
warm colors. It can represent variety of emotions like comfort and
warmth to hostility and anger.
Cool colors - Colors such as green, blue and purple are known as cool
colors. It can represent feelings of calmness as well as sadness.
Basic things about color:
• Each color is perceived differently by different people and has a
different effect on everyone based on the Color Psychology.
• You never define the range of the color because if you add two
colors you will find new range of the color.
• The color word itself is very cheerful to spell and the colors are as
best as they spell.
• Every color has its own characteristic and importance for
developing something with it.
• People have some innate relation with colors and every color
represent different culture also.
• Colors affect our moods, feelings and emotions as well.
Color as powerful Communication tool:
Everything in this world has a color and every color has a different
psychological meaning associated with it. For example sun looks
orange and orange is fiery; moon looks white and white represents
peace and calm, and trees are green. Because every single object has
its own color we can easily differentiate that particular thing.
Just imagine if all objects had same
color than what would happen?
• How would we imagine that
• Because when anyone says
imagine an apple than how do we
start to image an apple? The first
thing come into our mind is its
color. What color an apple has?
After we're done thinking that an
apple is red then only we move
on to other things like its shape
and taste. So colors make easy
communication. People can
imagine particular thing on the
basis of its color.
We can communicate better through
the color as every color represents
some particular thing so that we can
use it for communicating with
Every color represents its own
meaning and relations and
effects on our minds:
• Being represented for fire and blood Red
is the color normally recognized to
depict strong emotions, lot of energy,
strength and power.
• It is also the color of love and represents
passion, courage and strong desire.
• Red is extremely visible so is mostly used
in signs such as stoplight and for fire
• Since this color is mostly associated with
energy, it can be used as accent to call
attention or break a monotony in a
• Orange color is a combination of Red
and yellow so naturally it derives
both of their characteristics, the
energy of Red and the openness and
happiness of yellow.
• Orange is also the color of sunshine.
• It can be used to represent curiosity,
attraction, success and
• Orange brings out our creative side
and stimulates fascination;
refreshing color that increases
• Younger demographic generally
prefers this color and due to high
visibility it can be used to highlight
important links or catch attention of
• the most happy and cool color
• People feel happy and fresh seeing
yellow anywhere as it is known as a
symbol of joy, intellect and energy.
• It generates a kind of glowing and
warming effect and arouses,
cheerfulness in feelings.
• It's a flashy color so can be used to
display as highlights.
• a spontaneous color so if you want
to come off as more stable and
safe, better not use it.
There is a famous song I've heard, "I see
trees of green… red roses too…" Even the
songs tell us the general feeling about
• It represents nature and so in turn it
suggests a feeling of growth, safety
(walk when the signal is green!) and
freshness (fresh leaves are green).
• Green has a healing power.
• Green is commonly associated with
money as well.
• It is a pleasing color for the eyes.
• It can improve vision and endurance.
• The freshness of green can be taken as
beginning of something and therefore
sometimes associated with lack of
In conclusion green color can be used to
promote safety of medical products as
well as dark green can be used in financial
or banking related sites.
• Blue sky and Blue Ocean suggests
limitless expansion in all directions.
• Blue says I am stable and dependable.
• It is a symbol for
loyalty, trust, wisdom, faith and
• It's a calm color that is beneficial for
the mind and body.
• Taking a step further darker shade of
blue represents a stronger feeling of
trust, depth in experience and
expertise. This particular
characteristic makes blue the official
color for corporate sites.
• Blue should be used with warm colors
like yellow or red to create vibrant
and more effective designs.
• Never use blue in food or cooking
related sites as it is said to suppress
• Purple is a mixture of blue and red and
needless to say inherits both of their
• Purple is stable and energetic color.
• It is said to be a royal color.
• It comes with a feeling of richness for
the eyes as well as a feeling of
power, luxury and ambition.
• Most kids prefer purple color for some
• Some people might suggest that it's an
artificial color as it's rarely seen in
nature but use of this color in a site
will suggest wisdom, dignity and
When we think of or see white color a
kind of calm feeling creeps in our minds.
• Pure and clean things are associated
with white color.
• White means perfection. White means
• It sends a positive vibe to the onlooker.
• It can suggest a new start for
• White advocates faith, coolness and
• White can be used in corporate sites to
give an air of simplicity to the products.
• It represents safety and heaven.
• It could be also used to promote
medical products and low-fat, low
weight food or dairy products.
• Black is a strong color showing off
• It mostly associated with powerful
elegance, formality and mystery.
• Darkness of a night can be
associated with the unknown and
therefore black represents fear,
evil, death and almost anything
that is negative.
• Black means authority. Majority of
business people wear black suits.
• It is a prestigious color (black tie,
• It gives you perspective and depth.
• Some people say wearing black
makes you look slimmer.
• Black goes well with contrasting
• Sometimes it can be used to give a
bit aggressive color scheme.
Other factors that affect design decision=