Round off by discussing the culture shock she experiences coming from a country at war to a wealthy peaceful country in which people are very busy with their own worries because there are no bigger ones. Add how she depicts this in her drawings.
Lesson 5 culture clashes
L.O. Understanding Marji’s culture shock and
changes as she settles into a new life
• Discuss in pairs:
• What would be the biggest problem/ culture shock you might face if you had
to move fromKenya to Iran.
• How do your issues compare to whatMarjane experiences in her first weeks in
Comparing frames of reference
• What does this
conversation (page 158)
tell you about eachof the
girls’ frames of reference?
• Can youconnect it to
havelater on in her time
Clashing characters and friends
• How would you describe Marjane at this point in her life
• How would you describe Shirin?
• Is it fair on Shirinthat Marjane secretly calls her ‘Shirin
the inane’ (p.160)?
• What makes Marjane connectto Lucia(p.174) andto
some of her classmates after a while (p.169)?
• Two concepts play an important
role in Marji’s attempts to fit into
her new surroundings: food &
• Look for examples of her using both
food and reading, and describe how
successful Marjane is using these
ideas to fit in.
• Also, explain how she uses images,
speech bubbles, emanata, voice over
and facial expressions to clarify
what is going on in the panels you
picked as you evidence.
• How successful is Marjane at fitting into her
• What causes this?