What type of information?
• Guidelines: use NICE, SIGN, TRIP, National
Clearinghouse, G.I.N., Associations/ Organisations
• Diagnosis: point-of-care tool e.g. UpToDate;
• Evidence-based research: Cochrane Library,
PubMed/Medline, CINAHL, PeDRO, Embase,
PsycINFO, TRIP, Scopus, Scirus etc
• Management/Governance: Emerald
• Care measurement tools: HaPI (Health and
Get the most from databases
• Controlled language: MeSH (PubMed), CINAHL
Subject Heading, Emtree (Embase).
– know any limitations
• “pearl gathering”, “snowballing” & “forward
• Customisation and personalisation features
– Save searches/create alerts, collections, filters etc
You never get access
to the full extent of
the web, e.g.
- Paywall protected
- Confidential data
Searching the Deep Web
Patient Information Sources
• CINAHL: Evidence-based care sheets to assist
healthcare staff when discussing condition
• http://fixtracking.com/ - a guide to privacy
when searching (Firefox)
You choose what information comes to you. Be
very selective – regular culling required.
• Follow max. 25 on Twitter. Separate Twitter