BY ANKIT RAJ AND NISHA GUPTA
WHAT IS WEB SERVER?
A web server is an information technology that processes requests via HTTP, the
basic network protocol used to distribute information on the World Wide Web.
The term can refer either to the entire computer system, an appliance, or specifically to
the software that accepts and supervises the HTTP requests.
Every Web server has an IP address and possibly a domain name.
For example, if you enter the URL http://www.webopedia.com/index.html in
your browser, this sends a request to the Web server whose domain name
is webopedia.com. The server then fetches the page named index.html and sends it to
Structure of web server
1) Client sends request to server.
2) Server accepts the request and then process it.
3) Server sends back the request to client.
Types of Web Servers
Dedicated Server: These are basically physical servers. A dedicated server is a physical server that is
purchased or rented entirely for your own business needs, making it a great solution for large businesses,
those that for regulatory reasons require exceptionally high levels of data security, or organisations that
have predictable demand necessitating all of their servers running 24*7*365.
Cloud Server: These are virtual server that provides great option for businesses that need to optimise IT
performance without the huge costs associated with purchasing and managing a fully dedicated
infrastructure. For this reason they are a popular choice for small and mid-sized businesses.
[Sources: google images and times of India website]
1)Lack in managing excess web traffic.
2) A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer or network
resource unavailable to its intended users.
3) Computer worms that sometimes cause abnormal traffic because of millions of infected
computers…….and many more…….
How to solve them:
1) Managing network traffic, by using Firewalls, HTTP traffic managers.
2) Deploying web cache techniques.
3) Using different domain names to serve different (static and dynamic) content by separate
web servers connect with load balancer, so that they act or are seen as one big web server, i.e.
http://images.example.com and http://www.example.com.
4) In future we can use Li-Fi technology for the purpose of sending in more data at greater
bandwidth using a server.
Growth of web in India and conclusion
So, by looking at the status
we can conclude that in
future there will be high
demand of data store and
retrieving. Then there will be
a need of high tech web
servers and the organization
for managing them. That’s
why the start up based on
web server will be high in
[Sources:google stats and growth chart]