* Describe and purpose and processes of health
• Describe the health assessment of each body
• Perform health assessment of each body
• Process of Health assessment
a) Health history
b) Physical examination
(Methods – Inspection, Palpation, Percussion,
c) Preparation for examination : Patient and Unit
d) General assessment
e) Assessment of each body system
f) Recording of health assessment
• Health assessment is an essential nursing
function which provides foundation for
quality nursing care and interventions.
•It helps to identify the strength of the
clients in promoting health.
• Health assessment helps to identify
clients needs, clinical problems.
• To evaluate response of the person to
• Health assessment is refers to systematic
appraisal of all factors relevant to client’s
• Health assessment includes collecting
subjective data through interviewing the
client and obtaining objective data by
physically examining the client
Purposes of health assessment
• Establish a data base for the clients
normal abilities risk factors, and any
current alterations in function.
•Plan strategies to to encourage
continuation of healthy patterns, prevent
potential health problems and alleviate
or manage existing health problems.
• To gather information regarding client’s health
• To determine client’s normal function
• To organize the collected information
• To identify the health problems
• To identify client’s strengths
• To idientify need for health teaching
• Provide the holistic view of the
• Formulating conclusion or a problem
statement such as a nursing diagnosis.
• To collect data pertinent to the
patient’s health status e.g subjective and
• To identify deviations from normal
•To pointout actual problems
•To build Rapport with patient and family.
TYPES OF ASSESSMENT
• Initial assessment
• Focused assessment
• Emergency assessment
• Time lapsed -assessment
It is performed within specified time after
admission to a hospital.
The establish a complete data base for problem
identification , reference and future
e.g. Nursing admission assessment
FOCUS or ONGOING ASSESSMENT
• on going or focused assessment is ongoing
process integrated with nursing care.
• Purpose The main purpose of ongoing or focused
assessment to determine the status of a specific
and to identify new or overlooked problem
• e.g. Hourly assessment of client’s fluid intake
and output chart
• Emergency assessment is life saving assessment
the major purpose of emergency assessment is
save the patient or client’s life.
• Purpose . To identify life- threatining problems
• E.g a rapid asessment of person’s airway b
breathing ,and cirulation during cardiac arrest
• Time lapsed assessment involves assessment
several days after first initial assessment.
• Purpose. To compare the client’s current status to
baseline data previously obtained.
e.g Reassessment of a client’s functional health
patterns in a home.
METHODS OF ASSESSMENT
• The primary methods used to assess client’s are .
• Observation is a conscious,deleberate skill that is
developed only through and with an organized
• E.g. Client data observed through four senses
that is through vision, smell,hearing, and touch.
An interview is a planned communication or a
conversation with a purpose.
e.g. History taking
• The physical examination is a systematic data or
information collection method that uses
observational skills to detect health problems .
• The conducting the examination , the nurse uses
techniques of inspection ,auscultation, palpation