• Botanical name:
1. It is most important staple food in Pakistan& ranks
2. A major source of export. It’s names are different in
different languages like Chawal, Dhaan etc.
3. A cereal crop, A staple food, Contribute 3.1% in
agriculture & 0.7% in GDP.
4. Fulfill dietary requirements.
5. Khareef crop.
6. Best in high temperature, abundent moisture, well
distributed in growing period.
7. Can’t grow in Sandy soil but us
8. usually heavy clay soil is better for it’s growth.
9. Grown in Punjab Sindh & Balouchistan.
• The rice of square rice field is of prominent field.
• It has its own fragrance & taste.
• Such type never grown in other world parts.
• Basmati rice has best quality in Pakistan with pleasant aroma.
• Rice is best leading crop in Pakistan after wheat and cotton.
• Pakistan stands at 10th in the world in rice production.
• Rice is usually cultivated in summer season in June-July.
• Before 20 May, nursery is grown. 4-5 Marla nursery is enough for one
• Soing of nursery and transplanting of seedlings at optimum time is
essential for high paddy field.
• After 1 month, seedling is transferred. Should be 80,000 holes in one
• Plant population is 16,0000 in one acre field.
• Row to row distance is 9 inches.
• 16-18 plants in each / per meter square.
• “ The practices applied before soing of crop “
• Include land Preparation of:
1. Irrigation if required
2. Use of cultivator ( inhibit of weed growth & soil tilth)
3. Use of Rotavator ( crushing of residue)
4. Leveling the soil If required
• 1) Tillering stage:
When rice is 6-8 inches in length, tillers produced.
2) Penicle stage:
Formation of basal parts of flower.
3) Heading stage:
Formation of heads at Penicle.
4) Flowering stage:
5) Ripening stage:
Grain is ready for hervesting & Is matured .
Inter- cultural practices:
• “ The practices applied after soing of crop are known as inter
• These practices includes :
4.Eradication of weed from roots.
How we can convince farmers to cultivate rice
• By following ways :
1. It is short duration crop unlike others crops.
2. It is highly yeild producing crop with appreciable income.
3. After harvesting rice, wheat & brassica can be grien at zero tillage.
4. Residue of rice can be crushed into soil and give nutrients to next
• Usually 16 times irrigation applied.
• Water applied throughout patch of land
• Should be drainage . ( Drainage System)
• At soing time, water depthe should 1-15 inches.
• After 7 days, water depth should be 3 inches.
• Stands water for 3 weeks.
• Stop before 2 weeks of ripening of rice.