Making Social Media
Work for You
Popular Social Media Sites
What are some of my options?
• Social bookmarking
• Photo sharing
• Online communities
• Video sharing
• Event sharing
• Instant contact and new insights
• Build relationships
• Blast service similar to press releases
• Short and to-the-point (140 characters)
• Works like an e-mail blast
• Compliments your other platforms
• Track industry news and share your
• Easy way to share news stories and other
content on the web
• Share news
• Become an authority on news affecting
• Showcase your events
• Tell stories of people in need
• Solicit pictures from volunteers and share
• TIP: Create your own Flickr account and
post the link on printed literature
• Create niche groups
• Reach narrow or broad audiences
• Promote events
• Raise awareness
• No cost to you
• Can serve as your main hub or central
social media presence
• Community outreach
• Provides a free outlet for PSA’s,
testimonials and events.
• Another means to share stories and
content related to your organization.
• TIP: Create your own YouTube channel.
Added Benefits of Using Social
• Become your own news distributor
• Decrease dependency on mainstream and
• Reach niche audiences, locally and
• New reach
• New customers
How do I Proceed?
Define your goals and choose
the platform(s) that will help
you meet them!
Ask yourself these questions:
• Who do I want to reach?
• What do I want people to know?
• What do I want them to see?
• What do I want them to do?
• What is my current online reputation?
• Use social media to deliver EVERY
message you want to deliver.
– Showrooms and new products
– Press releases
• Capitalize on free services before
attempting to create your own.
• Manage your online reputation and have
Managing Editor/User-Generated Content
WRAL.com | GOLO.com
Visit my blog:
Online Community Strategist
Order my book: 18 Rules of Community Engagement