Want to make some extra cash
Here’s what you need to think
about to make the most from
the things you don’t want (but
someone else probably does).
What can you sell?
• Things you haven’t used for years
• Clothes that don’t fit
• High value collectables
• Broken items
• Rare items
• Job lots
• Branded items
Where to sell?
• Where similar items are for sale. This can include:
• Auction websites
• Classified ads online and in print
• Boot fairs
• If friends might want to buy
How much to charge?
• How much are other people are selling it for
• What it would cost brand new
• How much it will cost to post
• Factor in any fees if you’re selling online
TOP TIP: If it’s collectable, seek out a specialist for a valuation.
How to make your item
If you’re selling online:
• Take photos of different angles and close ups
• Write an accurate description so the buyer knows exactly what
• Use brand names and searchable words in the titles
• Build your reputation as a seller or buyer
How to get the price
• End online auctions on a Sunday evening when more people
are at home
• Want a quick sale? You can undercut other prices
• Don’t want it to go for peanuts? Set a reserve price
• Not selling? Lower the price
Top Tip: Online systems like PayPal give you greater protection
What happens when
someone buys it?
• Don’t send anything until you have received payment
• Make sure you get proof of delivery from the post office or
courier you use
• For big items, having someone collect might be your only
option. However, take the normal precautions