#2 A Rockstar Headline
#3 The summary. Tell
a little of your story.
*Use keywords for your industry.
*Make it related to your reason
for using LinkedIn.
*Sell your Personal Brand.
#4 Customized (shortened) URL
Then put it on your
...and put it in your email
Now on top of the basic profile skeleton
you already have, go back and add some
meat and potatoes:
Examples of Your
The nice part is, you ask for
recommendations by position, so you
are only for a comment on how you did
in that particular role.
Another Professional Development moment...
Don’t have references on your profile now?
Take the time to reconnect with long lost
colleagues and co-workers and friends!
Start by writing THEM references!
Plus, who doesn’t love a
good dose of positive
Groups in your industry Post, write,
Get to know the
and ask if you
Part 4 - The Toolkit
Tools only work if you use them!
Pulse. Follow it.
It’s like your
“Newsfeed” Stay informed
Post. write. share. connect.
Share insights Demonstrate
Connect with others in
work you are
Lynda offers a free year of
learning for Veterans!
of them! Lookup
whoah….OH! the possibilities!
University Rankings and Choosing a School:
For example, here’s how we found the top universities for
1. First, we identified the top companies where Software
Developers are choosing to work.
2. Next, we found people on LinkedIn who work as Software
Developers and saw where they went to university.
3. Finally, for each university, we found the percentage of
these alumni who’ve landed Software Development jobs at
these top companies, then compared the percentages to
come up with the list.
You don’t have to do this all at once.
Set small goals. Use a new tool daily.
Every day there seems to be something
new, so keep active and keep learning.
LinkedIn is a tool for professional
growth and connectivity.
but it only works if you USE it!
Well, Let's recap.
Here are some ACTION steps you can take:
#1. Beef up your profile.
● Master the foundational four
● Add in your community
● Share examples of presentations,
materials you’ve created and
work you’re proud of.
● Gut check: Get more experience
where you feel like you don't have
enough to say.
#2. Gain credibility through
● Ask for endorsements and
● Reconnect with long lost work
● Take control of your skills section
by ordering them to show where
#3. Build layers of
● Consider your personal
● Connect with individuals
according to your own goals.
● Connect in groups in your industry
● Connect in groups in your
● Connect with your alma matter
4. Use the tools
● Continue to add skills & experience and depth
to your own personal profile.
● Follow the pulse and post
● learn more skills through lynda
● Add the apps
● Keep active and keep learning.check out the
new features and insights added all the time!
● Make yourself a weekly or monthly appointment with
● Meet with a colleague or friend to work on profiles
together - write each others summary sections!
● Trade your mindless Facebook feed following for mindful
LinkedIn Pulse learning.
● Check back often. Keep learning and keep connecting.
● ACTIVELY join the “Duluth/Superior LI Learning”
So what are
Next step is
Connect with us for more information!
The College of St.
Career Services is
HERE on Linkedin
The College of St. Scholastica