Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles on Nursing-Related Subjects
Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles
on Nursing-Related Subjects
An online tutorial for nursing
students at Muskegon Community
• At the end of this tutorial you will be able to:
– Find the databases from off-campus
– Know how to limit your search to the parameters
set by your instructor
– Be able to refine your search using your own
Click Show Details to see the
list of available databases
When you click on
the databases from off campus,
this page appears. Enter the same
username and password you use to
log onto your portal page.
Click on these boxes in order to search in them.
Then click here.
Your turn . . .
• Try refining the search using the sidebar on your results page
What happens if you limit the publication date to just 2013?
What articles are available if you limit the age to 6-12 year olds?
What if you limit the gender to just male or female?
Change the first author so it can be any researcher – did it bring more
– What happens if we search for the keywords in the body of the articles
instead of the subject search? How many more articles do you see?
• You can also truncate your keywords to give you more results – very
useful your result numbers are low
– In EBSCOhost, the truncation symbol is *.
– Try typing diabet* and child* - how does this alter your results.
• By using * you are searching for all possible spellings, not just the related
words option we selected in our first search. This means the database will
search for words like child, childhood, children and diabetes and diabetic
• Feel free to call or email the librarians if you
have any further questions.
– Call the reference desk at 231-777-0326
– Email the library at email@example.com
• If you call/email after hours, a librarian will get
back to you the next morning.