Inclusive leadership is a set of leader behaviors
that are focused on facilitating groups members
feeling part of the group (belongingness) and
retaining their sense of individuality (uniqueness)
while contributing to group processes and
Randel, A. E., Galvin, B. M., Shore, L. M., Ehrhart, K. H., Chung, B. G., Dean, M. A., & Kedharnath, U. (2018:191).
“Leader inclusiveness reflects
behaviors specifically directed toward
valuing the different viewpoints and
ideas of all members within team
– when their views may otherwise
(Mitchell et al., 2015) Managing inclusiveness and diversity in
Leadership and HR
CEO’s words and actions alone are not
enough to make diversity management
and inclusion work. HR managers need
to believe that top leaders are dedicated.
LEADER RESPONSES TO HR initiatives
also very important
Buengeler, C., Leroy, H., & De Stobbeleir, K. (2018) and .Ng E and Sears GJ. (2018)
HR practices that work?
The climate and culture
Creating the situations,
doing, being, preforming,
Baumeister, R. F., & Leary, M. R. (1995)and Filstad, C., Traavik, L. E. M., & Gorli, M. (2019)
1. Buengeler C, Leroy H and De Stobbeleir K. (2018) How leaders shape the impact of
HR's diversity practices on employee inclusion. Human Resource Management Review
2. Ng E and Sears GJ. (2018) Walking the Talk on Diversity: CEO Beliefs, Moral Values,
and the Implementation of Workplace Diversity Practices Journal of Business Ethics.
3. Mitchell, R., Boyle, B., Parker, V., Giles, M., Chiang, V., & Joyce, P. (2015). Managing
Inclusiveness and Diversity in Teams: How Leader Inclusiveness Affects Performance
through Status and Team Identity. Human Resource Management, 54(2), 217-239.
4. Randel AE, Galvin BM, Shore LM, et al. (2018) Inclusive leadership: Realizing positive
outcomes through belongingness and being valued for uniqueness. Human Resource
Management Review 28: 190-203.
5. Filstad, C., Traavik, L. E. M., & Gorli, M. (2019). Belonging at work: the experiences,
representations and meanings of belonging. Journal of Workplace Learning, 31(2), 116-
6. Abramovic, G., & Traavik, L. E. M. (2017). Support for diversity practices in Norway:
Depends on who you are and whom you have met. European Management Journal,
35(4), 454-463. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2017.04.002
7. Traavik, L. E. M. (2018). Career equality: Inclusion and opportunities in a professional
service firm in Norway. Gender in Management: An International Journal, 0(0), 4.