• Antarctic desert
is a cold desert.
• It is located in
- About 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice.
- It has annual precipitation of only 200 mm
- The temperature in Antarctica has
reached −89 °C.
- It is so cold it only ever snows
- Heavy snow fall can happens when storms
pick up water from the seas around
There are these animals:
• Brown skua
The climate of Antarctica does not
allow extensive vegetation.
During the winter months the plants
need to rest under the blanket of
In order to survive the low
temperatures and cold winds, the
plants grow close to the ground and
many of them have small leaves to
• There are about 100 species of mosses and
25 species of liverworts
There are only two species of
flowering plants growth generally
occurs in the summer, and only for a
few weeks at most:
– Deschampsia antarctica (Antarctic
– Colobanthus quitensis (Antarctic