Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

News Corporation


Published on

Published in: Business
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

News Corporation

  1. 1. NEWS CORPORTATION The world’s 2nd Largest Media Conglomerate
  2. 2. What’s a ‘media conglomerate’? <ul><li>A ‘media conglomerate’ describes companies that own large numbers of subsidiaries in various mass media such as television, radio, publishing, movies, and the Internet. </li></ul><ul><li>News Corp produce films, TV, cable programming, satellite TV, magazines, books, sporting events, and websites. </li></ul><ul><li>You probably don’t realize this, but they own A LOT of the things you watch or use. </li></ul>
  3. 3. Famous TV-based Subsidiaries <ul><li>Fox Broadcasting Company 
 The Fox Broadcasting Company (FBC) is commonly referred to as FOX, is an American television network owned by Fox Entertainment Group. Shows broadcasted would include the weekly and hugely popular American Idol , dance shows such as So You Think You Can Dance , and many more. FBC takes enormous effort into developing strong internal brands that not only satisfy the corporate bottom line, but also a fickle international audience that is constantly demanding something new. 
  4. 4. STAR TV <ul><li>STAR TV is a division of News Corporation. It is also Asia’ s leading satellite TV broadcaster, delivering movies, sports , music, and entertainment channels to an audience of 260 million people. 
 In 1993 News Corporation acquired a 63.6% stake of the Hong Kong-based STAR TV satellite network for over $500 million, and the remaining 36.4% in July 1995.  
  5. 5. THE BIG MAN: Rupert Murdoch <ul><li>Ownership: what link do they have within the organisation? </li></ul><ul><li> 
 News Corp: owned and founded by K. Rupert Murdoch. </li></ul><ul><li>Murdoch also stated that he was interested in libertarianism: someone who emphasised on rights of the individual. This meant that stress within the government is limited, and thus, there were more rights toward self-ownership. 
 </li></ul><ul><li>    &quot;(Telecommunications) have proved an unambiguous threat to totalitarian regimes everywhere ... satellite broadcasting makes it possible for information-hungry residents of many closed societies to bypass state-controlled television channels&quot;  </li></ul><ul><li>Also listed on the New York stock exchange. </li></ul>
  6. 6. Sport-Related Products <ul><li>Fox Sports Net; broadcasting local sporting events linked together by national sports news programming. </li></ul><ul><li>Fox Sports News </li></ul><ul><li> and </li></ul>
  7. 7. Good Sport Flagship Examples <ul><li>The subsidiary BSkyB’s Sky Sports features live coverage of the English Premier League </li></ul><ul><li>ESPN Star Sports : News Corp synergy with Disney. Has flagship shows like ‘Football Focus with John Dykes’ </li></ul><ul><li>Star Sports live coverage of Grand Slams (tennis) </li></ul>
  8. 8. Do they own any sports teams? And if so, can you see any conflicts of interest? <ul><li>▪ 50% of the National Rugby League (Australia and New Zealand) </li></ul><ul><li>▪ Majority ownership of the Brisbane Broncos , and, full ownership of the Melbourne Storm rugby league team, and partial ownership of Colorado Rockies </li></ul><ul><li>These teams are rivals? </li></ul>