Plastic pollution is threatening life on land and life under water. The presentation shows the effects of plastics on life on land and life under water. Additionally, it shows simple steps on how to avoid Single-use plastics.
From oil to plastic: First, the petroleum is drilled and transported to a refinery. Crude oil and natural gas are refined into ethane, propane, and hundreds of other petrochemical products. Of course, fuel for your car is refined through crude oil. Ethane and propane are "cracked" into ethylene and propylene, using high-temperature furnaces. A catalyst is combined with ethylene or propylene in a reactor, resulting in "fluff." Fluff is a powdered material (polymer) resembling laundry detergent. Fluff is combined with additives in a continuous blender. The polymer is fed to an extruder where it is melted. Melted plastic is cooled then fed to a pelletizer that cuts the product into small pellets. Pellets are then shipped to customers and manufacturers.
2018: Effects of Plastic Pollution on Land and Water
END PLASTIC POLLUTION
POWER SHIFT 2018
www.greenafricayouth.com | 233541688618
• What is Plastic?
- What is Plastic Pollution?
• Impact of Plastic Pollution
- Terrestrial and Marine Biodiversity
• Plastic Use and Human Health
• What Can We Do?
- Say No to Plastics
What is Plastic?
• Plastics are made from Crude Oil. Although there are
new inventions where plastics are made from non-
oil sources, 99% of plastics are produced from fossil
• Discovered in 1856 – from natural sources,
revolutionized in 1950 – discovery of polypropylene
• The Linear Chain: Oil Rich Countries – Ghana –
Production (300t/d) – Usage – End of Life – 80%
pollution – 20% Collected – 25% recycled –
Shredded Exported to China.
What is Plastic Pollution?
•When plastics are disposed inappropriately into the
•Physically causing hazards, and chemically releasing
toxins to the ecosystem as plastics are made of crude
• Physical and Chemical Impact on Aquatic Life and Ecosystem
• Physical – Causes death and injuries via ingestion, trapping,
suffocating, and more.
• Chemical - PCBs and BPA – carcinogenic, immune system
breakdown, hormonal dysfunction.
• Water is a catalyst for chemical reaction in hot-temperatures
Impact on Life Under Water
• Avoid Single-Use Plastics. Here is
• Carry a cotton/reusable bag
• Carry a reusable water bottle
• Sit and Eat: don’t take away
• Carry your own bowl for take away
• Carry reusable cutlery always
• No Straws!!!
• Refuse unnecessary plastic packaging
• Ultimately, SAY NO TO PLASTICS!
What Can We Do
What if this was you?
• Sea Turtle with Straw in its nostril
You & I Did This
Over 200 straws and cutlery collected
at a 100meter beach stretch in Ghana.
Join the campaign now