Sultan Qaboos University
College of Education
Department of Instructional & Learning Technologies
Evaluating a Touring website Using
Amina Al Sarkhi
Nawal Al Ghafri
• Title: Tourism Web site ( ) السياحة في عمان
• Project background:
1. Statement of the purpose:
Since tourism is considered as a very important factor for countries income,
moreover, each country has its famous and unique places which must be known to
tourists. So, we had decided to develop a website that can be as a guide for tourists
in Oman. Moreover, this website serves an instructional purpose which is as final
project for programming 1 course.
- Developing a website that guides tourists in Oman.
- Accomplishing one of the goals of programming course in using
programming skills to develop a website.
- Strengthen the collaboration skills between groups' members.
3. Audience: Arabic tourists.
4. Evaluation Plan: Model of evaluation: we will use Bates’ ACTION
model to evaluate this project as following:
• How accessible is a particular technology for learners?
o Technical Issues: This website contains many pictures and
webpages which may require more bandwidth and may slow the speed
of downloading files a little bit.
o Design Issues: Multimedia elements ( pictures+ animation) are
essential to content and accompanied by text equivalent.
• How flexible is it for a particular target group?
This website will be published and it will be easily to browse and view.
Moreover it is easy to use because it contains a website map which shows the
components of the website and fast link to each section. Additionally it
contains a lot of links even on text or images which take you to different
• _ What is the cost structure of this technology? (Not applicable)
• _ What is the unit cost per student? (Not applicable)
3. Teaching and Learning
• _ What kinds of learning are needed? Self- learning.
• _ What instructional approaches will best meet these needs?
Constructivism approach because it help learner or user to navigate through
the website by himself using the visual and technical aids.
• _ What are the best technologies for supporting teaching and learning in
this environment? WWW, CDs, DVDs, servers.
• _ What skills does the technology develop? Self- learning, Navigation skills
and raise students or users motivation because of the sound and nice pictures.
4. Interactivity and User-friendliness
• _ What kind of interaction does this technology enable? Asynchronous
interaction- self-based learning.
• _ How easy is it to use and learn? Easy to use because of the links and site
map and the information available so clear and in large and colored fonts.
5. Organizational Issues
• _ What are the organizational and Institutional requirements to provide
stability and support? Internet access, server.
• _ What are the barriers to using this technology successfully within the
institution? (Not applicable)
• _ What changes need to be made within the organization to incorporate
the technology? (Not applicable)
• _ How new is the technology? This is a new way to do a complete website
which talks about Oman in Arabic. But the technology is not new because so
many website are used to deliver instruction.
• _ What are its technical capabilities? It has fast links and site map to
enhance navigation, images with equivalent text, sound and animation.
• _ How quickly can courses be created and distributed with this
technology? It is easy to publish using the WWW, or even to be distributed to
schools via CDs or DVDs.
• How quickly can materials be changed? This website has been developed
using HTML, Java Scrips languages that mean it is easy to be updated,
changed in any time.