Managing Your Application Lifecycle on AWS: Continuous Integration and Deployment
AWS offers a number of services that help you easily develop, build, deploy and run applications in the cloud. In this session you’ll learn best practices for managing your application lifecycle with these tools with a particular focus on development speed and release agility. Through interactive demonstrations, this session shows you how to get an application running using AWS Elastic Beanstalk, CloudFormation and CodeDeploy. You will also see how advanced techniques such as blue/green deployment, AMI baking, customer resources and in-place deployment reduce deployment friction and rapid change in your environment.
Speaker: Adrian White, Solutions Architect, Amazon Web Services
What are we covering today?
• Consistency through the development, test and
• Improve quality over time
• Increase velocity of application change
• AWS deployment and management approaches
• What does deployment look like in the future?
• Private Git on AWS
• Massive scaled version controlled projects
• High service availability and resiliency
• Encrypted at rest
• Pay as you go pricing
• Import from SVN, Git, Microsoft TFS
• Use IAM to control access to repositories
Why use a release automation service?
• Customizable workflow engine
• Integrate with partner and custom systems
• Visual editor and status
Continuous delivery and release automation, just like Amazon
2) Unit test
2) UI test
Source Beta Production
2) Load test
1) Deploy region1
2) Deploy region2
3) Deploy region3
How do you ship application changes?
• Deployment approaches
– In place vs discrete stacks
• Where is state in the system?
– Stateless vs stateful application components
• Frequency and speed of change
Why use a deployment service?
AWS CodeDeploy helps with this!
Now available in Sydney
• Scale from 1 instance to thousands
• Deploy without downtime
• Centralize deployment control and monitoring
CodeDeployv1, v2, v3
Coordinate automated deployments, just like Amazon
Step 2: Set up your target environments
Agent Agent Agent
Deployment groupDeployment group
Group instances by:
• Auto Scaling group
• Amazon EC2 tag
• On-premises tag
Shipping artifacts to new environments
• What if we can quickly and easily build new environments
– Deploying AMIs
– Deploying containers
• CodeDeploy to manage discrete application versions
• Milestone every 2 weeks
• Tooling for Designers/Artists/Publishers
• Game goes live soon!
Nathan Smith, Technical Director
Where to go next…
• AWS Training & Certification
• Deployment and Management at AWS
• Code Management and Deployment
• Amazon EC2 Container Service