Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product? Prelim
For starters the main improvement is holding the Sony Bloggie the right way whilst filming, which could be seen as a significant improvement in terms of cinematography.As you can see from holding the camera the right way up,gives the audience a better aspect of the film because thesurroundings are more clearly established.
How we have improved in terms of cinematography The second shot shows how we’ve developed on camera angles such as ‘close ups.’ As the first shot doesn’t establish the effect of tension via the ‘close up’ whereas the second shot does. Fitting in terms of the conventions of horror (tension horror, vulnerability), our camera angles from Appleby street emulate these conventions significantly better than the first shot.These are a serious of various shots, which show how we have developed in terms ofcinematography. Applying shots such as: long shot, body shot, medium shot and panningshot.
How we have developed the narrative This is two shots revealing the pathetic narrative which was produced for the preliminary task. It was an argument over a stapler. Which shows a clear narrative wasn’t established particularly well. Also this narrative isn’t emulating the genre of our film which is a horror . So we needed to make a steady progress on our film. The narrative is more clearly established in these pictures as the first picture is were Aimee tells the story of the Villain’s past. Then the second is the villain himself so it is clear that there is a dominant villain in the film. Which portrays the conventions of a horror, providing a villain, a villains past. The villains lair which is also clear in the second picture. But also a vulnerable victim.
Although it is clear we have improved our narrative, this is what the audience said we would need toimprove on, developing a more established narrative. On our media day when we was asked what would you improve, many participants answered that we could make the sound levels more significant to the image to establish a better narrative. Whereas the narrative For example this clip has a was established on backing track with substantially Aimee’s character as loud wind, and my character you can see she is seems to not be affected by the affected by the wind wind. with her hood up.
Villain’s lair How the conventions where established This picture applies three conventions of a horror, them being: •Vulnerable victim, this shows how we have clearly portrayed Aimee to be vulnerable to the villain. As this picture portrays the villain to be significantly more dominant. •The villain, this picture portrays a villain which needs to be in every horror film, to make the film a lot more sinister. This is portrayed through the use of mise en scene off the symbolic mask. •The setting, the background portrays that this is the villains lair, which creates suspense as this audience will know that there will be something sinister to come, when someone is intruding into his lairVictim Villain Whereas this shot does not apply any of the conventions of a horror, as there is no clear cut villain vs victim. There is no scenes which create tension for the audience. The only effect that it consumes, is to create humour for our audience as it is has a pathetic storyline . This shows how we have developed how to apply the conventions of a horror in our film which create tension for the audience. Essentially making our film more successful in terms of portraying our genre in our film.
How developed mise en sceneWell for my character, not very well as I am wearing the same clothes. This also helps portray the conventions of a For our villain we developed horror by making the villain a lot more sinister, mise en scene severely well which creates suspense. We didn’t apply any as we applied a symbolic props in our preliminary task, which meant we mask to make him didn’t gain the same effect which we did with significantly more sinister. the symbolic mask. This shot is significant for the progress which we made in terms of mise en scene, it has two significance: •The prop of the torch: this makes it more realistic as the characters are carrying props, which we didn’t have in the preliminary, which reveals development in mise en scene because we know have the ability to use props. •The other significance being the use of light which it reveals, because the torch gives out artificial light, which we needed otherwise the light levels wouldn’t have been controlled and wouldnt be able to gain expressions of the characters.
How we improved editing This ‘fade in fade out’ was not sufficient and the duration went on for about 5 seconds. This is to show we have improved, as the use of ‘fade in fade out’ is more sufficient to a film opening as the flow is alot more calmer and gives time to introduce the film This is the use of ‘video filters’ this is called ‘bad film’ this was extremely effective as it created suspense, because it looked like someone ferocious was holding the camera, which made the audience feel that something sinister was going to occur in the streets of Appleby.
How we developed soundThe only sound which was applied in the preliminary task was the sound of dialogue, which meant we couldn’t apply backing tracks to create tension. We did this in the shot below of our final draft. This shot of Aimee, we used a soundtrack of birds tweeting over the top to portray the character to be dependant, and to reveal the inevitability that she is going to become a victim. We applied the music called ‘beautiful melody’, to create suspense as it made the audience feel sorry for my character, but also for Aimee’s character as it portrayed that she was going to be next