Education And Public Outreach
To provide non-specialists access to LSST data through easy-to-use
digital tools and interfaces that engage diverse communities with
authentic research experiences and activities.
Audiences for LSST EPO
Content developers at informal science education facilities
Key responsibilities of EPO
• Provide non-specialists access to LSST data through online tools and interfaces.
• Facilitate citizen science projects that use LSST data.
• Further STEM education and training by engaging with educators to bring authentic research
experiences and activities to their classrooms.
• Build partnerships with institutions and organizations serving under-represented groups and proactively
engage with diverse audiences.
• Engage with the Chilean community through Spanish-language components of the EPO programing.
• Remain agile and relevant during the full lifetime of Operations by adjusting to technology trends and
• Provide evidence-based evaluation of the LSST EPO program and publicly report ﬁndings.
• Sky Viewer
• Education Hub
• Science Notebooks
This talk will highlight the following with wireframe web designs:
6. EPO Portal
The online connection to all EPO public interfaces
EVALUATION: EPO will proactively test all facets of the EPO Portal with diverse learners and those
traditionally under-represented in STEM to ensure deliverables remain relevant, accessible,
interesting, and engaging to diverse audiences. We will achieve this by working with community
partners, minority-serving institutions, museums, libraries, and recruiters to evaluate engagement
with those audiences.
The EPO portal is powered by a cloud-based EPO Data Center
which allows for scalable, on-demand computing as ﬁt for the EPO
EPO Science Notebooks
• Pathway from less-technical to more sophisticated interfaces and tools, as users wish.
• Use Jupyter suite with Python and DM back end modules, but EPO-speciﬁc User
• Difference between EPO audiences and scientiﬁc community in user
expectations, load, complexity of interactions.
• LSST Researchers can deploy EPO notebooks for their EPO efforts and work with
LSST EPO to connect with classrooms and professional development.
15. EPO Portal - Education Hub
MEETING NAME - DATE - LOCATION
• Science notebooks allow educators to modify activities to meet the needs of individual
students, provide unique data samples to each student, combine the results of all
students for real-time discussion, and compare class results to other classrooms
around the region or world
• Tiered modules relevant to curriculum (Next-Generation Science Standards in the USA
and goals of the Explora program through CONICYT in Chile)
• Professional Teacher Development
• LSST Researchers can deploy EPO notebooks for their EPO efforts and work with LSST
EPO to connect with classrooms and professional development.
• EPO works with DM to leverage effort
19. MEETING NAME - DATE - LOCATION
EPO storage of scrubbed data
Researcher with LSST
Data Rights* wants to
play with citizen science
* Limited to users with data rights and access
** Researcher automatically informed if similar query has been
^ Only >100 if Data Rights Panel approves such a request
*** Launch Panel verifies Project passes beta testing and
submits full query for official Project launch
Project beta tested with public
Researcher can iterate Project based
When satisfied with
clicks “Ready for Panel
Review” on test
Researcher uses Project for a
specific audience (classroom,
within team*, etc)
Data Rights Panel
determines readiness for beta
testing and identifies approved
metadata to retain
Through the Zooniverse
Project Builder Tool,
researcher submits query to
Full Project launch on Zooniverse
Zooniverse storage of sample data sets
sample dataset** and
sets up Project. Can
iterate sample dataset
Zooniverse API queries
DAC API and retrieves
sample of 100 rows for
Panel representative reruns query for approved data to DAC API,
scrubbing metadata as determined by Data Rights Panel. New
100 object sample set^ is stored in the EDC
How LSST scientists can use and contribute to EPO programming?
• Donate code for Education Hub modules and science notebooks
• Contribute Science Notebook activity ideas and science questions
• Deploy EPO notebooks for their own EPO efforts
• Work with LSST EPO to connect with classrooms and professional development.
• Share networks to improve our testing and evaluation, particularly with minority-
serving institutions and those traditionally under-represented in STEM
• Prepare to lead Citizen Science Projects using LSST data.
• Seek out diversity/equity/inclusion training to communicate skillfully and sensitively
with under-represented groups