The Alzheimer’s Research & Prevention Foundation: Kirtan Kriya meditation
A New Dimension in
Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D.
Alzheimer’s Research and Prevention Foundation
Maintain a sharp brain with age
Boomers’ #1 Fear
Boomers’ #1 Goal
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 15, 2012
Contact: HHS Press Office
Obama administration presents national plan to fight
Alzheimer’s disease (NAPA)
HHS Secretary Sebelius outlines research funding, tools for health
care providers, awareness campaign and new website
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today
released an ambitious national plan to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The
plan was called for in the National Alzheimer’s Project Act (NAPA),
which President Obama signed into law in January 2011. The National
Plan to Address Alzheimer’s Disease sets forth five goals, including
the development of effective prevention and treatment
approaches for Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias by
Why KK Meditation should be
Part of the Conversation
1. Stress makes it harder to remember things
2. Stress leads to anxiety, depression, and insomnia
3. Meditation lowers stress and improves brain function and
4. Meditation reduces anxiety and depression, both risk factors
5. Most studied meditation techniques include:
a. The Relaxation Response – 20 min/ twice a day
b. TM – 20 min/twice a day
c. Mindfulness – 47 min average
d. Kirtan Kriya (KK) – 12 min
The Benefits of KK in 12 Min/Day
1. Can be easily learned and practiced at home
with a CD.
2.Strengthens the brain, like going to the gym
strengthens the body.
3.Improves attention, concentration, and focus.
4.Better memory scores
5.Better mood, less depression and anxiety.
6.More mental and physical energy.
KK Increases Telomerase
Base Week 8
Proven Benefits of 12 Minutes of KK
• Activation of Significant Brain Areas That Improve
• Mood, Memory, Well-Being, Quality of Life
• Activation of posterior cingulate gyrus, the first area to
decrease with Alzheimer’s.
• Multiple Long-Term Anti-Aging Brain Benefits
including a bigger cerebral cortex.
• Reversal of Memory Loss
• Enhance Genetic Expression
• Less Anxiety and Depression
• Decrease Stress
• Improved Health Outcomes such as less inflammatory
1. UWVA- KK & MCI
2. UCLA- KK & MCI
3. FINGER Study
Ongoing ARPF Research
4. UofAz- KK + virtual
balance training vs bt,
associated with cog
TAKE KIRTAN KRIYA HOME
1.Self-led 12-minute KK meditation now possible
2. Anyone can practice it
3.Best time to do it is first thing in the morning
4.CDs and downloads available for a $12 donation
5.CD includes simple instructions
6. It’s easy, enjoy!