When i was 1st year at medical school , i was facing problem with Medical Terminology , No one advice me indeed , So i make this presentation make Medical Terminology so Easy for Primary Medical students , hope you enjoy it :)
• Demonstrate knowledge of important Medical Terms.
• Basics of Medical Terms: root, prefixes & suffixes.
• Medical Dictionary: recommended ,use , type .
• Workshop about how to:
- Search on Medical Dictionary .
- Identify Root, prefixes & suffixes in medical terms.
“The Language of the Health Profession”
"Medical terminology is the professional
language of those who are directly or
indirectly engaged in the art of healing."
• When you understand the
structure of medical terms, you
can "decode" the terms into their
parts and derive the meaning
Significance of Medical Terminology ?
In medical dictionaries, definitions should to the
greatest extent possible be:
• Simple & easy.
• Useful clinically.
• Reflecting current scientific knowledge.
• Language of Physicians, Nurses & Health care
• There are Basics / Master Key / Golden Rule ,
you should follow it to start Learning Medical
Prefix Root Suffix
• Basic elements of medical words :
• Some medical and scientific terms combine
more than one root into a single word.
• O is considered as interfix.
• e.g: Neuro-patho-logy
Root contains the basic meaning. It is the stem
to which affixes (prefix, suffix, interfix, ..) can
friendship = friend [stem] + ship [affix]
• A prefix is an affix which is placed before the
stem of a word.
• It is also called a reformative, because it alters
the form of the word to which it is affixed.
• It changes word's meaning or makes a new
• Types: Positions, Descriptions, Measurements
• A suffix (also sometimes called a postfix or
ending) is an affix which is placed after the
stem of a word. It changes word's meaning or
How to Build Medical Terms !
• Hyper-glyc-emia = increase the sugar in blood
• Hyper- = increase = Prefix
• -glycol = sugar = Root
• -emia = blood = Suffix
There are secrets behind any Medical Term!!!
Origin of Medical Terms
• Hippocrates was a Greek
physician and is known
as the “father of
• 75% of medical terms
are based on either
Greek or Latin words.
الطبية المصطلحات في العزبية الجذور
Arabic Origin of Medical Terms
Medical Terms Abbreviations
• Use to make long medical terms or name of
diseases or clinical description or medical
devices or symbol in short form.
- AIDS : Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
- ECG : Electrocardiogram
- ↓: decrease , low
How to use Medical Dictionary
• You can find many Medical Dictionary …
• It source of Medical Terminology…
• There is some Medical Dictionary specialized
in certain subject in medicine…
• Soft / hard copy
Recommended Medical Dictionary
• On online website for electronic dictionaries:
Taber’s medical dictionary:
Mosby's medical dictionary
Stedman's medical dictionary:
•Practice how to use the Medical Dictionary.
•Try to find Medical Terms in the Dictionary.
•Identify basic structure of Medical Terms :
• A root is the foundation
or basic meaning of a
• May appear with a
prefix or suffix, or
between a prefix or
• cardi - root for heart
• hepat- root for liver
• neur - root for nerve
• nephr - root for kidney
• cyt- root for cell
• Pre - prefix means before
• peri- prefix means around
• hemi - prefix means half
• micro - prefix means small
• neo- prefix means new
• The prefix is a part
of the word that
precedes the word
root and changes
• Often indicates
location, time, or
• A suffix is the word
ending that follows the
word root and changes
• Often indicates the
disorder, or disease.
• -itis - suffix means
• -ology - suffix means
the study of
• - ectomy- suffix means
suffix means surgical