36.Health benifits of pomegranate By Allah Dad Khan
• One of the oldest known fruits, found in
writings and artifacts of many cultures and
religions, the pomegranate (punica granatum)
is an original native of Persia. This nutrient
dense, antioxidant rich fruit has been revered
as a symbol of health, fertility and eternal life
• If you're not familiar with the pomegranate, it
is a red fruit with a tough outer layer; only the
juice and the seeds inside are edible.
Pomegranate juice is available year round, but
you can purchase fresh pomegranates in most
grocery stores from September through
January. When refrigerated in a plastic bag,
pomegranates keep for up to 2 months. Try
tossing the seeds on a salad for a brilliantly
colorful, crunchy, and nutritious addition.
Benefits of Pomegranate
• A pomegranate is a fruit that is very rich in
nutrients which makes it quite popular around
the world. The fruit originated in areas of
Northern India, Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan,
though it also grows in Peninsular Malaysia,
Southeast Asia, California, Armenia, tropical
Africa and others. This fruit has a very leathery
texture on the outside that may be orange-
yellow, red or purple. The inside of the
pomegranate is filled with pink arils with seeds
inside that are juicy and sweet.
Nutrition Facts of Pomegranate
• Pomegranates are often appreciated because they are filled with more
antioxidants like punicalagin than other superfoods like acai berry juice or green
• Pomegranates are also high in vitamin C, with 100 ml containing 16 percent of a
person’s daily requirement.
• It also contains high amounts of vitamin K that helps to support bone health and
vitamin B5 that helps the body metabolize, protein, carbohydrates and fats.
• Pomegranates are filled with manganese which helps to form bone structures
during the metabolic process and potassium that helps to maintain cellular
functions and balance fluid levels.
• The fruit is also high in phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, zinc and iron. There is
very little fat in a pomegranate and it does not contain cholesterol.
• The fruit only has 130-150 calories, with around 105 calories being derived from
• These seeds are high in calories because they contain unsaturated oils, sugar and
carbohydrates but there is a great deal of fiber and some protein in these seeds as
• Pomegranate protects the epidermis and dermis by encouraging skin cell
regeneration, aiding in the repair of tissues, healing wounds and
encouraging circulation to skin that is healing.
• A diet rich in pomegranate juice helps slow down ageing by reducing
wrinkles and fine lines caused by exposure to the sun. It also helps to
sustain the regeneration of the skin, preventing hyperpigmentation and
Suited for All Skin Types:
• The juice works wonders for dry skin, effectively penetrating the skin and
moisturizing it. Punicic acid, an Omega 5 fatty acid in the juice, keeps the
skin hydrated by locking in the moisture. The juice also helps reduce the
production of sebum, preventing outbreaks of zits.
Helps to Heal Scars:
• Pomegranate juice improves cell regeneration of the skin and can hasten
the healing of wounds. The seeds themselves are also full of skin-
beneficial nutrients, protecting against sunburns and healing sun-damage
Pomegranate Face Mask for Glowing
• Mix 1tsp of powdered green papaya, 1tsp grape seed oil, and 1tsp grape
seed extract with 2tsp of pomegranate juice, then apply to the face. Leave
it on for an hour, then wash wtih warm water.
Improves the Texture of Skin:
• A glass of pomegranate juice will give you fair and glowing skin. It will also
prevent wrinkles by increasing the body’s production of collagen, which
provides support and strength to the skin.
Protect from the Sun.
• Consuming pomegranate provides the skin with compounds that help to
protect against free radical damage which can cause sun damage, cancer
and sunburn. The oil of a pomegranate contains the antioxidant ellagic
acid that can help to inhibit skin tumors to protect the body from skin
Produce Youthful Skin.
• Because pomegranates help to soften the skin
and produce additional elastin and collagen it
can make your skin look more firm, smooth
Help with Dry Skin
• . Pomegranates are often added to skin care
products because they have a molecular
structure that can penetrate deep layers of
most skin types to provide
Use for Oily or Combination Skin
• . Oily or combination skin types that are acne
prone can use pomegranate to sooth these
outbreaks and minimize burns or scarring that
can occur during breakouts.
Soothes the Stomach:
• Pomegranate juice has been used to treat
diarrhea and dysentery since ancient times. It
increases the production of enzymes that
assist in digestion. You can add a teaspoon of
honey to a glass of pomegranate juice to treat
• For being so small, pomegranates are
surprisingly high in fiber—one of the most
important nutrients for sustainable weight
loss. Since high-fiber foods keep your body
satisfied for longer, you'll be less likely to
overeat if you're full. Snacking on
pomegranate arils on their own is a healthy
and refreshing fall treat, but there are plenty
of other tasty ways to incorporate this
delicious fruit into your diet.
Protect Cardiovascular Health.
• Pomegranate juice can act as a blood thinner and helps to remove plaque
from the arteries that will help to minimize the risk of atherosclerosis.
Consuming pomegranate juice can help lower LDL cholesterol and increase
HDL cholesterol to improve heart health and reduce the risk of
May help prevent cancer:
• From prostate cancer to breast cancer, lung cancer and skin cancer, pomegranates
can help prevent and treat several forms of cancer. This property of the delicious
fruits is also attributed to the presence of polyphenol antioxidants in them. Studies
have shown that pomegranate juice can inhibit the growth of tumour cells and
induce natural death in them. Certain compounds in pomegranates have an anti-
inflammatory ability that also contributes to its ant-cancer property.
Improve Bone Quality.
• The enzyme inhibitors in pomegranate juice
can help to prevent damage to the cartilage. It
can also help to control cartilage degeneration
to prevent osteoarthritis.
• Being rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, pomegranates are extremely healthy
for those suffering from immune-related disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and
osteroarthrits. They are also rich in vitamin C, which boosts antibody production
and development of immunity. Pomegranates can thus help you maintain a
healthy immune system and stave of common illnesses and infections. Read about
howturmeric can boost your immunity.
Increases your libido:
• Since ancient times, pomegranates have been considered as a symbol of
fertility. According to a research conducted by researchers from Queen
Margaret University, a glass of pomegranate juice boosts testosterone
levels in both men and women. This property makes natural aphrodisiac
that is great for your sex life. Also, studies suggest that pomegranates
contain certain compounds that are similar to sex steroids found in the
human system, explaining why it improves sex stamina and desires
Helps to Heal Scars:
• Pomegranate juice improves cell regeneration of the
skin and can hasten the healing of wounds. The
seeds themselves are also full of skin-beneficial
nutrients, protecting against sunburns and healing
Good for Prenatal Care:
• Pomegranate juice contains many vitamins and mineral, as well as folic acid, all of
which are essential in a prenatal diet. The anti-inflammatory properties help
improve blood flow for both the mother and the fetus. The potassium in the juice
prevents muscle cramps associated with pregnancy and is even believed to
prevent premature childbirth.
• Children that do not have a strong appetite
can drink a glass of pomegranate juice to get
an appetite stimulant.
Prevents Hair Loss:
• Pomegranate juice strengthens the hair
follicles, preventing hair loss and giving you
rich, healthy hair.
Prevents Skin Cancer:
• The anthocyanins and tannins in pomegranate are
powerful allies in the fight against skin tumors. Apply
it directly to the skin and let the ellagic acid do what
it does best – inhibit the growth of cancerous cells.
• Anemia is caused when your body is low on red blood cells. The high levels
of iron in the juice helps the body produce more red blood cells. It is also
considered a great remedy for red and sore eyes – simply put a few drops
of the juice in your eyes.
• The anti-inflammatory properties of
pomegranates stems from its high vitamin C
content that will help to manage asthma, sore
throat, cough and wheezing.
Help Lose Weight.
• People are finding that pomegranates have a
natural property that provides you with
additional energy and cleanse the body,
making it easier to lose weight.
Lowers blood pressure:
• Pomegranates help lower blood pressure by preventing the activity of
serum angiotensin-converting enzyme. Punicic acid is one of the main
constituents of pomegranates that help lower cholesterol, triglycerides
and reduce blood pressure. A study has shown that pomegranate
components reduce risk factors for heart disease, in patients with diabetes
and high LDL levels of the blood. Here are 5 other natural foods to prevent
Lowers stress levels:
• Apart from reducing the body’s internal oxidative stress, pomegranates
also help lower psychological stress that you go through your personal and
professional life. According to a study conducted by Queen Margaret
University, people who drank pomegranate juice had lower levels of
cortisol, a stress hormone that is increased under stressful situations.
Keeps Alzheimer’s at bay:
• Imagine being stuck on a road having forgotten where you live? If you
wouldn’t want it to happen to you for real, pomegranates should form a
part of your daily diet. Researchers suggest that pomegranates play in
important role prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. A study
conducted by Hartman and colleagues showed that pomegranate juice
reduces the deposition and accumulation of amyloid in the hippocampus
region of the brain by 50%, which could be considered for Alzheimer’s disease
Prevents plaque formation:
• If you mouth wash to keep improve your oral health, pomegranate juice
can be a better option than alcohol containing mouth washes available at
pharmacy stores. Certain compounds in pomegranate exhibit strong
antiplaque effects. A study showed that hydroalcoholic extract of
pomegranate effectively lowered dental plaque formation due to
microorganisms build up by almost 84%.
• Pomegranate peel, bark and leaves are used to calm disorders of the
stomach or the diarrhea caused by any kind of digestive problems.
Drinking tea made from the leaves of this fruit also helps in curing your
digestive problems. Pomegranate juice is also used for handling problems
like dysentery and cholera.
• For diabetic patients, drinking pomegranate juice can reduce
the risk of various coronary diseases. Along with this, there is
a reduction in the hardening of the arteries, which can inhibit
the development of various heart diseases.
Decrease Risk of Impotency.
• Those that have a risk of prostate cancer, impotency or atherosclerosis can
consume the pomegranate juice to reduce these risk. The high
antioxidants will help to manage arteriosclerosis that can lead to
impotency and increase your risk of prostate cancer
Treat Prostate Cancer.
• Consuming pomegranates has been found to reduce prostate specific antigen in
clinical trials. Research is ongoing to see if pomegranates can be used to treat
people that already have localized prostate cancer. During these trials the juice
was found to inhibit the growth of the cancer cells and lower its risk of
metastasizing. The high phytochemicals in the juice seem to have a distinct effect
on delaying and stabilizing the growth of PSA in men.
Keeps you looking younger:
• Ever wondered why we grow old and our skin develops
wrinkles and other signs of ageing? Well, it is because of free
radical damage that affects your cells. Polyphenolic
compounds in pomegranates are powerful antioxidants that
can delay the process of aeging. Therefore, eating
pomegranate keeps your skin glowing and radiant for a long
Aid in Pregnancy.
• Pomegranate juice is high in niacin, folic acid, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, iron
and fiber that help to maintain a pregnant woman’s health and encourage cell
growth. Consuming pomegranate wine instead of alcoholic beverages helps to
curb the craving for these hazardous materials while preventing the damage that
often comes with consuming alcohol while pregnant. Consuming pomegranate
juice during pregnancy has also been fund to reduce cramps and sleep difficulties
that often appear during pregnancy. It has also been found to increase blood flow
to the baby which reduce she risk of brain damage.
Inhibit Breast Cancer.
• Studies have found that the ellagitannins in pomegranate juice will
prevent estrogen responsive breast cancer cells from growing. This
phytochemical inhibits aromatase that is used to create estrogen,
increasing your risk of breast cancer.