Chabot College Fall, 2008
Course Outline for Business 23
23 - Business Strategy 3 units
Principles and concepts of strategic management, including analysis, formulation, and
implementation of business strategies. 3 hours.
[Typical contact hours: 52.5]
Expected Outcomes for Students:
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. analyze the competitive environment of a business;
2. assess a firm’s internal and external strengths and weaknesses;
3. identify approaches to creating sustainable competitive advantage, and select the optimal
4. understand the risks and benefits of business diversification;
5. develop international business strategies;
6. design organizational structures and systems that are consistent with business
7. explain the concept of a learning organization in the context of business strategy;
8. articulate key elements of management of innovation;
9. analyze business cases and develop strategic recommendations.
1. The purpose of business strategy
2. Environmental scanning
3. Organizational analysis
4. Creating competitive advantage
5. Business expansion through diversification and globalization
6. Strategic choice
7. Strategic control and governance
8. Organization design
9. The learning organization
10. Strategic leadership
11. Management of technology, innovation, entrepreneurship
12. Case analysis
Methods of Presentation:
3. Analysis of cases
4. Guest speakers
5. Videos, video cases
Assignments and Methods of Evaluating Student Progress:
1. Typical Assignments
a. In a 2-3 page paper, describe and analyze the key strategic decisions made by any
Fortune 50 company over the past 25 years.
Course Outline for Business 23, Page 2
b. In small groups, try to identify the strategic decisions that led to the development of
Apple’s iPhone. What opportunities did they see when scanning the environment?
What internal strengths and weaknesses stimulated the development of this
product? How did they organize to develop a unique product very quickly?
c. Read the summary of Peter Senge’s work on the learning organization at
http://www.infed.org/thinkers/senge.htm. Prepare a 2-page paper that connects the
leadership roles in a learning organization to the key elements of strategic
management, and evaluate your strengths and weaknesses in each of these roles.
2. Methods of Evaluating Student Progress
a. Midterm examination
b. Final examination
c. Case studies
e. Group projects
Strategic Management Concepts, 7th edition, Michael Hitt, R. Duane Ireland and Robert
Hoskisson, Thomson-Southwestern, 2007.
Concepts: Strategic Management & Business Policy, 11th edition, Thomas Wheelen and
David Hunger, Prentice Hall, 2008.
Special Student Materials:
jn 08/07, revised 10/26/07
Bus 23 course outline.doc