- QUIIP CEO: COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT SERVICES CO.
- FORMER ESSENTIAL BABY (FAIRFAX DIGITAL)
COMMUNITY MANGER & EDITOR
- FOUNDER SWARM #CMGR CONFERENCE
- MANAGES AUSTRALIAN COMMUNITY MANAGERS’ GROUP
(OVER 700 CMs)
- WORKED WITH COMMUNITIES FOR 10 YEARS
- FOCUS ON HIGH-RISK & SENSITIVE CONTENT
A SPECIFIC GROUP OF PEOPLE
WHO FORM RELATIONSHIPS OVER TIME
AROUND A STRONG COMMON INTEREST.
WHY BUILD COMMUNITY?
• Build customer loyalty
• Idea generation / product development
• Customer support
• Increased revenue, decreased costs
• Long-term asset for the business
• User-generated content & space
• Content & control
• Better ability to engage with members
• Better moderation functionality
“COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT IS THE DISCIPLINE
OF ENSURING PRODUCTIVE COMMUNITIES”
KEY COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT SKILLS
• Incredible communicator - ability to
translate PR “on message” comms.
• Content creation & curation - editorial
• Thick skin but empathetic, cope with
• Conflict resolution
• Business nous, working across
•Ability to facilitate peer to peer
• Advocate - galvanises internal support
• Ambassador - represent the members
• Problem solver
• Ability to build trust
• Compile actionable reports, understand
& analysis metrics
• Understanding of how to develop the
• Understanding our how the community &
business objectives align
COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT PILLARS
- FACILITATE PEER-2P
- SENSE OF BELONGING
- ALIGN BUSINESS OBJECTIVES
- GROWTH PLAN
- METRICS & MEASUREMENT
• MINIMISE RISKS
• CREATE A CULTURE
• SET THE TONE
• CREATE A SAFE &
• FOSTER SELF-GOVERNANCE
• GROW THE COMMUNITY
• IDENTIFY VOLUNTEERS
• CURATE CONTENT
• IDENTIFY ISSUES
POLICY & ToS
• FOCUS ON THE DO’S
• SHOW HOW TO GET VALUE
• EASY TO FIND
• CONSULT & REVISE
• LINK & REFERENCE
• LIMITED MODERATION FUNCTIONALITY:
moderation blocklist, filter, turn-off
• FB COMMUNITY GROWTH NOT ORGANIC, USUALLY DRIVEN BY ADVERTISING - CAN
• EDGERANK CAN LEAD TO PROVOCATIVE AND DESPERATE CONTENT
• 3RD PARTY PLATFORMS STILL RELY ON FB API, SO MANUAL CHECKING IS ALSO
ADVISED. (Eg. Conversocial, Context Optional, BuddyMedia, Sprout social, Hootsuite.)
• Trolls have no interest in a resolution.
• Detractors are critics. They may be irate but also
• Know the difference between provocation and
• Try to see the issue from their perspective.
• Take the issue offline - even via phone. Ensure you
have the answers and support you need when you do.
• Give them enough rope!
• Know when to do nothing (but deep breaths).
10 RESPONSE TIPS
1. Fire drills - practice!
2. Determine the issue, research the poster.
Are they a blogger? A reporter? A known
troll? A well known group of activists?
6. Prepare resources beyond business hours. You
may require multiple hands on deck at once.
3. Identify common questions/themes.
9. Don’t delete negative comments unless they
breach your guidelines, or the ToS. Be sure to
articulate this to the community.
4. Do not cut & paste the same response!
5. Prepare responses / apology /
explanation. Higher the better (CEO). Ask
for patience if you’re waiting on further
information etc. Make 1st effort count!
7. Offer the community something.
8. Use filters and pre-moderation if necessary.
10. Breathe! Give the community space to respond
and answer each other. Your advocates will do a
more powerful job than you can!
THANK YOU & GOOD LUCK!
QUIIP.COM.AU | @QUIIP
SWARMCONFERENCE.COM.AU | @SWARMCONF
EMAIL US! INFO@QUIIP.COM.AU