1) I will be grading project 2 this week. Expect grades
2) Remember to read the syllabus and know the
policies on late papers and revision. We’re at a point
where that matters.
3) Remember that this week we’re doing conferences
again. I have times set up on Tues/Wed/Thurs. Pick
one. I’m going to make a PowerPoint JUST for the
conferences. Make sure you read it carefully.
4) Make sure you’re checking your grade on Engrade.
If something’s missing, talk to me. Don’t let yourself
I’m going to ask you to watch something that’s a
little on the longish side, but I think it will be
interesting and useful. On the main site for class, at
Cyberphill.com, I have embedded the unedited
interview that Rachel Maddow did last week with
Jon Stewart. If anyone doesn’t know, Maddow is a
commentator on MSNBC, and Jon Stewart is the
host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show.
I want you to make a pair of forum posts in response to
the video. The first is this:
For the “Maddow and Stewart: Is this Remixing” forum,
I want you to think about how Jon Stewart compares
his program (the Daily Show) to what Maddow and her
fellow news pundits at MSNBC produce. Use specific
points from the video to support your response to
whether or not what Stewart does is “remixing” what
MSNBC and other news outlets do.
For the “Maddow and Stewart: What I noticed” forum, I
want you to pull out a quote, or an exchange that you
found particularly interesting or intriguing, post it, and
post “why” you found it interesting or intriguing.
Next week, as part of your work, you will respond to
these posts, so please make sure your post is
substantial enough that a classmate can engage in
conversation with you.
Three prompts again this week:
1) Top 5 List: The Five Best Books I’ve Read in
the Last Year
2) Media post: find a clip from some form of news
satire (like the Daily Show) that you feel uses
remix and post it
3) After your conference, reflect on how it went.
1) Conferences this week. If you miss the
conference, it’s going to do bad stuff to your
grade. Please look at the conference
2) Project 4 is due on Friday the 19th. If you’re
having any issues with that, talk to me ASAP.
3) Remember that Making 5 and Project 5 are both
due the day or our class final, December 16th, at
The work load this week is a bit
lighter as I want you to focus on
your research and your
conferences. Make sure you come
into your conference ready!