Serverless functions for Docker & Kubernetes
CNCF INTRO & DEMO
by Alex Ellis
What is Serverless?
PortabilityEase of use
How did OpenFaaS come about?
STORY SO FAR
• “Lambda but on containers for Alexa”
• Dockercon Cool Hacks - “push Docker beyond what it was made to do”
• Major changes since Dockercon
• Top trending Open Source project overall
• > 4.4k stars
• Kubernetes & external provider support
• Asynchronous processing via NATS
• CLI - templating
• Regular contributors & Slack Community
What is OpenFaaS?
"A SERVERLESS FRAMEWORK BUILT ON CONTAINERS"
• Basic primitive: containers in OCI format
• Container security
• r/o filesystem, privilege drop, content trust
• Manage functions with scheduler/orchestrator
• Rich container eco-system - commercial & community
• Avoid vendor lock-in
• Run anywhere - cloud or on-prem
• Leverage existing skills in teams (including Windows)
• Anything can be a function.
What’s next for OpenFaaS?
SET REPLICAS = 10,000
• Roadmap - supporting users
• Evaluating - ADP, CodeFresh, IRT Saint Exupery, Reevoo
• Additional language templates - CSharp, Ruby
• Curating UX
• Guides, manual & tutorials for developer-clouds
• Website & branding
• Contributors, sponsorship and finding a home
• Speaking & SWAG
• LinuxCon North America + CNCF London - Sept
• Dockercon EU - October
• Kubecon (?) - November